3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2016 4:47 PM by nickausaus

"Select entire contents on entry" does not work if the field losing the focus has a script trigger

Summary

"Select entire contents on entry" does not work if the field losing the focus has a script trigger

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.7.4

Description of the issue

When you (single) click in a field with "Select entire contents on entry" the user expects the entire contents to always be selected.

In fmp11 this is the case, however, in fmp12 if the field that was in focus triggers a ScriptTrigger (even one that does nothing) only the word at the click-point is selected (similar to triple click).

Note: This does NOT occur if you click in the padding-space within the field background, but outside of the text input area.

**This is particularly irritating when clicking into a pop-up-list field, because the selected value is then inserted into the middle of the existing value instead of replacing it.**

Steps to reproduce the problem

1) Create an empty script
      2) Create a layout with two fields
      3) Place a script trigger OnObjectValidate on the first field to execute the script.
      4) Enter test data: In Browse mode create a new record, enter multiple words into the two fields using tab to jump to field 2 and save the data.
      5) Click in Field 1 and without changing anything
      6) Click in field 2 => it is ALL selected (because no ScriptTrigger was triggered)
      7) now click in Textfield1 and change its contents...
      8) NOW click in Textfield2 and this time only one word will be highlighted (because the ScriptTrigger was triggered)

or .... ask for the example DB.

Expected result

The entire contents of Textfield2 should be selected.

Actual result

Only one word of TextField2 is selected

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

-

Configuration information

Textfield 1 must have a script trigger.

Textfield 2 must have "Select entire contents on entry"

Workaround

-

Tripleclick.png

• 1. Re: "Select entire contents on entry" does not work if the field losing the focus has a script trigger

Hello FMI?

I posted this issue over 3 months ago, and have not yet heard anything from you. :-(

In the past I have had very swift responses to the issues. What's up?

This bug is causing a great deal of data-entry errors in our database, as the users do not expect this erroneous behaviour and tend not to be looking carefully at the screen, when they enter their data. We would thus very much like it ti be corrected as soon as possible, and to know that FMI ARE PROGRESSING ON THE CASE.

I have invested a great deal of time in identifying EXACTLY what the cause of the error is and carefully documenting it for you here. It would be honorable of you to respect this and reply within a reasonable timeframe. FM-Developers wish to have the feeling we are working together on this! 

Regards from Hamburg, Germany

Russell Watson

• 2. Re: "Select entire contents on entry" does not work if the field losing the focus has a script trigger

MrWatson:

Thank you for your post.

I apologize your initial post slipped through the cracks. 

I attempted to replicate this behavior in FileMaker Pro 12v2 and was unable. However, I was able to replicate in FileMaker Pro 12v1. The suggestion at this time would be to update to FileMaker Pro 12v2. The updater is located in knowledge base article 11051 found here:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11051/

If you're currently running version 2, then I would like to get a copy of your sample file to attempt to replicate in version 2 on my end.

Please let me know if you are experiencing this behavior in FileMaker Pro 12v2, and I will send you the instructions for sending the file.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: "Select entire contents on entry" does not work if the field losing the focus has a script trigger
              nickausaus

Hi @MrWatson

I realise this is an old post but I was having similar issues recently. For my situation I was trying to select entire contents while arrow-keying through records in a portal. I used the script debugger and it seemed the entire contents were selected right until the script ended (with an End If).

Solution:

I found that putting in a 'Halt Script' step after 'Set Selection [field name]' and having the field in the layout set to 'Select entire contents on entry' produced the required result.

Hopefully someone else may find this helpful, as I'm assuming you found a solution by now!

-Edit: I should have mentioned, I am using a script called from 'OnObjectKeystroke' in several fields, and determining outcome based on 'Code'

Nick