'Close Popover' highlights popover button of popover closed

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker 13

Operating system version

OS 10.9.2

Description of the issue

When closing a popover with the 'Close Popover' script step as a single script step the popover button will be highlighted with a white and black border.

Do not know if this is a bug but it is not what is expected by users.

I have been asked 'Why does the button have box around it?'

In normal use there are never these boxes around a popover button.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create popover, in popover place button to close popover.

Expected result

Do not highlight popover button.

Workaround

Create a script that takes focus away from the popover button but that defeats the single step this is what is only needed.

popoverhighlight.jpg

• 1. Re: 'Close Popover' highlights popover button of popover closed
          TSGal

Gerard Beutler:

Thank you for your post.

The Popover button will remain active when you close the Popover by either pressing the "ESC" key or by the Close Popover script step.  Development and Testing have informed me this is by design.

Instead, change the button on your Popover to execute a script that uses Close Popover followed by Commit Records/Request.

I recommend that you enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database hosted by Development and Product Management.  Each suggestions is discussed and considered for future releases.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked on the form that only you can answer.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: 'Close Popover' highlights popover button of popover closed
            GerardBeutler

TSGal,

Since this was a new feature in 13 I thought this would be the best place to post an unexpected user experience to a new feature.

Observation: When a user clicks on the popover button to close the popover the result is not the same as doing a 'Close Popover' therefore the question on the observed result. The popover button is not highlighted when the popover is open, it is surely active at that time.

All I want is the one step script result to display the same as a click on the popover button to close popover.

The question then is 'why is it designed this way and what is the benefit to the end user?'

If not a benefit to end user and only prompts questions there is no benefit to the highlight.

Gerard Beutler

• 3. Re: 'Close Popover' highlights popover button of popover closed
              TSGal

Gerard Beutler:

This is the correct place to post, and the user experience is important.

I first searched our internal database of reported issues, and came across the exact same experience you reported.  The issue was marked as by design but did not give a reason.  I have re-opened the issue asking for clarification.

Assuming the reason for the design is plausible, then a Feature Request is warranted.  I'll post again when I have more information.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: 'Close Popover' highlights popover button of popover closed
                TSGal

Gerard Beutler:

I apologize for the late reply.

I did receive information from the developer.  Without this behavior, the keyboard navigation for layouts with Popovers would be affected/broken.  There was consideration for leaving nothing focused, but then pressing tab would move back to the first field in the tab order.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: 'Close Popover' highlights popover button of popover closed
                  mtwalker

I realize this is an old post but, in case anyone else runs across the issue, I found a workaround.

Edit the style of the button to remove the outer shadow from the InFocus state of the popover button.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: 'Close Popover' highlights popover button of popover closed
                    hschlossberg

Todd Walker wrote:

I realize this is an old post but, in case anyone else runs across the issue, I found a workaround.

Edit the style of the button to remove the outer shadow from the InFocus state of the popover button.

Thanks, Todd.  While this behavior might be "by design", it has NEVER been desirable behavior.  Just poor design.  Anyhow, I'm glad that there might be a workaround that doesn't involve an extra step be run on every popover's close.