12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2009 2:59 PM by TSGal

(FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF

Afrite

Summary

(FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:Filemaker 10 AdvancedOperating System(s) involved:Mac 10.4.11(Full Updates)(Intel Processor)Detailed description of the issue: Filemaker Crashes when trying to create a PDF when an object(not graphic) crosses printable pages. Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.) Go to a layout with an object that crosses printable pages (e.g.  merge field)2.) Go to  Save/Send Record as -> PDF3.) Go to Options4.) Change the Include at the bottom to Specified pages and have it start with page 2 and go through page 2. Expected ResultSave a PDF of the current layout/record starting with page 2 and going to Page 2Actual ResultFilemaker CrashExact text of any error message(s) that appeared:Console ErrorInvalid memory access of location 0000001c eip=0002892fFeb  6 09:44:08 bodineta /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro: An unexpected Java error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine.Feb  6 09:44:08 bodineta /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro: If this error is reproducible, please report it with the following information:Feb  6 09:44:08 bodineta /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro:   1. Provide the steps to reproduce, a test case, and any relevant informationFeb  6 09:44:08 bodineta /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro:   2. The corresponding JavaNativeCrash_pid.crash.log (Java state)Feb  6 09:44:08 bodineta /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro:   3. The corresponding .crash.log (native state; generated by CrashReporter)Feb  6 09:44:08 bodineta /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro:   4. This data:Feb  6 09:44:08 bodineta /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro:        Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_16-132 mixed mode, sharing)Feb  6 09:44:08 bodineta /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro:        Bus Error (0xa) at pc=0x0002892fFeb  6 09:44:08 bodineta /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro:        Process ID: 21052, Current Thread: 99027456Feb  6 09:44:08 bodineta /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro: File report at: http://bugreport.apple.com/Feb  6 09:44:08 bodineta /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro: An error report file has been written to:Feb  6 09:44:08 bodineta /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro:   /Users/admin/Library/Logs/Java/JavaNativeCrash_pid21052.crash.logFeb  6 09:44:09 bodineta crashdump[21063]: FileMaker Pro crashedFeb  6 09:44:10 bodineta crashdump[21063]: crash report written to: /Users/admin/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/FileMaker Pro.crash.log-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Contents of /Users/admin/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/FileMaker Pro.crash.log Contents is too long for the 20k character limit but i can supply them via email if requested -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issueAny workarounds that you have found:NONE

• 1. Re: (FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF
          TSGal

Afrite:

Thank you for your post, and taking the time to document this problem.

A similar problem was reported last week.  It appears that if you have a layout that is more than one page in length, FileMaker Pro 10 will crash when "Save Records As PDF" is invoked and the starting page is not "1".  For all layouts that are one page in length, this problem does not occur.  Please let me know if this applies to you.

If so, the only workaround is to make your layout one page, or split your multi-page layout into multiple layouts with no layout exceeding one page in length.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: (FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF
            Afrite
               This is most likely the same problem but i looked at it further and found that mine only happens when an object that contains data passes between pages.  (A merge field that is part on 1 page and part on another page).  I tried it with graphics(a box) and it worked like it's supposed to.
            • 3. Re: (FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF
              TSGal

Afrite:

Thanks for the additional information.  I have forwarded this information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments to help them pinpoint the problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: (FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF
                gregl
                   The full crash log may be too big to post here, but I think just the first 50 lines would be helpful.  That would be enough to indicate: the *exact* OS version, which application executable was launched, the immediate reason for the crash (e.g. EXC_BAD_ACCESS), and enough of the stack trace for Thread 0 (assuming that's the thread that crashed) to help track down the ultimate cause of the crash.
                • 5. Re: (FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF
                  Afrite

Here is what i beleive is important information, I can't find anything more detailed about thread 0.

Date/Time:      2009-02-06 09:44:08.421 -0500
                  OS Version:     10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)
                  Report Version: 4

Command: FileMaker Pro
                  Path:    /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro
                  Parent:  WindowServer [59]

Version: 10.0.1 (10.0.1)

PID:    21052
                  Thread: 0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
                  Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x0000001c

Thread 0 Crashed:
                  0   com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x0002892f PDFGraphics::GetFontInfo(XGraphicsTextStyle const&, PDFGraphics::PDFFontInfo&) + 239
                  1   com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x00028dfe PDFGraphics::MakePDFFont(XGraphicsTextStyle const&, PDFGraphics::PDFFontInfo&, int) + 78
                  2   com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x0002904b PDFGraphics::TypesetText(XGraphicsTextStyle const&, unsigned short const*, unsigned long, unsigned long, int, int, bool, Draco::CoordPoint const&, bool) + 235
                  3   com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x0002a03f PDFGraphics::GraphemeWidth(XGraphicsTextStyle const&, unsigned short const*, unsigned long, unsigned long) const + 879
                  4   com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x00020e85 PDFGraphics::GetAverageGraphemeWidth(XGraphicsTextStyle const&) + 53
                  5   com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x0054fed8 XTextChunkBreaker_Legacy::RebuildModel() + 872
                  6   com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x00552367 XTextModel::Rebuild() + 199
                  7   com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x000a1e81 XText::Recalculate(XText::RecalculateOption) + 97
                  8   com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x0016f2c0 DrawContext::DrawTextObj(Draco::LayoutObject&, Draco::TLayoutObjectAttrs&, Draco::XRect const&, int) + 3328
                  9   com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x00176bdd DrawContext::DrawObject_PRIVATE() + 2221
                  10  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x00166ff6 DrawContext::DrawPart_Clipped(Draco::DBCursor const&, short, Draco::Coord, Draco::Coord, Draco::Coord, Draco::CoordRect*, XDocContentOverlay*, short) + 758
                  11  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x00259de9 FMDocPrintJob::NextPagePrinter::ImagePart(DrawContext&, short, FMDocPrintJob::PartOption, Draco::Coord, short, Draco::CoordRect const&, bool, Draco::Coord&, Draco::Coord) + 585
                  12  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x0025a696 FMDocPrintJob::NextPagePrinter::ImageSubPart(DrawContext&) + 102
                  13  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x0025c9a9 FMDocPrintJob::NextPagePrinter::PrintNextPage() + 537
                  14  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x0025d287 FMDocPrintJob::PrintDocument() + 295
                  15  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x003884bf PrintJobCommon::ExecutePrintJob() + 223
                  16  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x0025d07a FMDocPrintJob::ExecutePrintJob() + 42
                  17  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x004846f3 DoSaveAsPDF(FMDocWindow&) + 2931
                  18  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x001e387c DoImportExport(FMDocWindow*, unsigned) + 348
                  19  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x001e542d AppHandleCommand(FMDocWindow*, unsigned, bool) + 669
                  20  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x001a93ef CFMProApp::OnCommandRange(unsigned) + 111
                  21  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x00035d28 CMacCmdTarget::OnCmdMsg(unsigned, int, void*, MAC_CMDHANDLERINFO*) + 296
                  22  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x00051fdd CMacFrameWnd::OnCmdMsg(unsigned, int, void*, MAC_CMDHANDLERINFO*) + 141
                  23  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x0003343d CMacDesktopFrameWnd::OnCmdMsg(unsigned, int, void*, MAC_CMDHANDLERINFO*) + 45
                  24  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x000c4993 CMacWnd::SendCommandMsg(unsigned, int) + 131
                  25  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x0007eb0e CMacMenuBar::DispatchMenu(long, short) + 94
                  26  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x001a7a63 CFMProApp::Dispatch_MenuSelection(long, short) + 147
                  27  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x001a991d CFMProApp::Dispatch_MouseDown(XNEventRecord*) + 205
                  28  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x001a9ba2 CFMProApp::DispatchMouseDown(EventRecord const&) + 50
                  29  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x0004fddb CMacEventPump::PumpEvent(EventRecord&) + 91
                  30  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x00050359 CMacEventPump::Run() + 249
                  31  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x000337a0 CMacApp::Main() + 112
                  32  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x001ab715 main + 37
                  33  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x00002ab2 _start + 216
                  34  com.filemaker.client.advanced      0x000029d9 start + 41

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
                    eax: 0x00000000  ebx: 0xbfffcb24  ecx: 0x00000000  edx: 0x0534c250
                    edi: 0x00000015  esi: 0x0534c408  ebp: 0xbfffcb58  esp: 0xbfffc9f0
                     ss: 0x0000001f  efl: 0x00010297  eip: 0x0002892f   cs: 0x00000017
                     ds: 0x0000001f   es: 0x0000001f   fs: 0x00000000   gs: 0x00000037

• 6. Re: (FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF
                    antidote

I having this problem at a client too.  I just upgraded them on Friday to FM10.

Now every time they run this script it crashes. The layout prints on 2 pages, but it does print the first page.

I did not believe there is an option in the Save as PDF script step to select a page range.

FM9 the script works perfectly.  I tried to recreate the problem in a test file, but could not reproduce it.

Do you have any other info on this problem?

Tim 

• 7. Re: (FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF
                      antidote

I broke out the 2 page pdf onto 2 different layouts.  It created the first PDF, sort of.

The first PDF was corrupted, so when I went to the next layout to append the PDF, it gave the dialog could not create PDF on this disk etc.

The good news this workaround does not crash FileMaker 10, but the bad news is that the workaround does not work.

It looks like I will try and recreate the layout.  Maybe there is a corrupt object.

Tim 

• 8. Re: (FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF
                        gregl

Can you describe specifically how the initial PDF was corrupted?  Does it not open at all in Adobe Reader or Preview.app, or does it display with glitches?

antidote, are your clients crashing on just Mac OS X, on just Windows, or on both? 

• 9. Re: (FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF
                          antidote

It does not display in Preview.  Preview says the file is corrupted.

I actually got in working in FM10.  Seems like a script issue, when created in FM9.

I created a subscript to "Save as PDF" passing the path as a script parameter. (No append) and script is now working without crashing or corruption.

Tim 

• 10. Re: (FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF
                            Imager

Hallo 

I have the same problem. But only on my MacBook and not on my MacPro (they both run with 10.5.6 and FM10 Adv.

The crash happens with a one page layout as well as a multipage layout. If I save the PDF from the printing dialog (Save as PDF) then FM does not crash. If I push the Save as PDF button in the Page preview mode or when I use a script, then FM 10 crashes. 

Paul Merki 

• 11. Re: (FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF
                              antidote

try recreating the the save as pdf script step in another script and call that script in your original script.

tim 

• 12. Re: (FM10)(Mac)Crash while creating PDF
                                TSGal

Paul Merki:

Thank you for your post.

What is the difference between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro?

Can you check both computers for the size of the AdobeFntxx.lst files?  You can find these in the following directories:

Home -> Library -> Application Support -> Adobe -> TypeSpt -> AdobeFnt08.lst    (for version 8)

If they are not the same size, then remove the one on the MacBook (where the problem is occurring) and try saving records as PDF again.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in determining possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.