9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 5:07 PM by MatthewKirkcaldie

.rnd file prevents syncing mobile home directories.

aobajapan

Summary

.rnd file prevents syncing mobile home directories.

Description of the issue

The same issue as was posted here is happening with me, so I'm posting this to the FileMaker forums:http://filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php?p=80638  I have a MacBook with OS X 10.5.6 and Filemaker Pro 10.0v1 (client) installed. I log in with a Open Directory user and it utilizes mobile directories, so my home directory syncs with the server when I shutdown and start up. After installing Filemaker, shutdowns are interrupted with a warning window saying that the /Users//.rnd file was not able to sync. It's because the file is owned and readable only by root:-rw-------   1 root       staff   1024 Jun 12 10:26 .rnd The date reflects the day Filemaker was installed.As with the other post, I had to change permissions/ownership to get past the syncing problem. What is this file for and will it be fixed?

• 1. Re: .rnd file prevents syncing mobile home directories.
          mbroughtn

I just installed FMPro 10.1 on OS X 10.5.7 this week and I noticed that file also.  I presume it contains information about serial number, registration, or the like.  If you sign out of your current account and log in as another user and run FMPro, no such file is created in the other user's Home directory.

Despite it creating problems with synching, OD, AD etc., I believe it is just plain wrong in a Unix environment.  

1.  A user's Home directory is not  meant for files owned by root.  If root ownership is really needed, the the proper place for that file is probably  /Library…

2.  The software can be installed by any administrative user.  In my case, I installed it while running under user ID 502 (the first user created when you set up a Mac is 501).  My user account can be deleted at any time.  Then what?  The file is off the computer.

3.   The software license if for one computer, not one user.  It would therefore be wrong to store any sort of registration information in any particular user's Home directory regardless of ownership.

This is definitely a problem and it needs fixing. 

• 2. Re: .rnd file prevents syncing mobile home directories.
            TSGal

aobajapan and mbroughtn:

Thank you for your posts.

The .rnd file is used during the creation of the server.pem.  The .rnd file is not needed after installation and can be removed.

You can also find this on the Windows side under FileMaker Pro 10\Setup.

A suggestion has been entered to remove this file at the end of the installation process.

Thanks for taking the time to document this and bring it to our attention.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: .rnd file prevents syncing mobile home directories.
              seank

Sorry to necro an old thread, but this file is still being left behind by FileMaker Advanced 11. It's not a serious problem, although it's irritating to have my rysnc scripts complain that they're unable to successfully complete. Would be appreciated if the installer would remove .rnd once it's completed, or perhaps use /tmp for temporary files.

• 4. Re: .rnd file prevents syncing mobile home directories.
                TSGal

seank:

Thank you for your post.

The status of this issue is marked as closed in FileMaker Pro 11, and I'm unable to replicate the problem.

Can you tell me more about your system setup?  Do you have anything out of the ordinary?  Let me know exactly what steps you took so I can try and replicate the problem here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: .rnd file prevents syncing mobile home directories.
                  seank

Hi TSGal,

I removed and reinstalled Filemaker Pro Advanced 11 (11.0.1.96), and it's definitely creating and failing to remove the .rnd file. Here's an excerpt from the log (with the machine name removed):

Mar 16 14:05:25 (removed) installd[3187]: ./postflight: + rm /Users//.rnd

Mar 16 14:05:25 (removed) installd[3187]: ./postflight: rm: /Users//.rnd: No such file or directory

It's a corporate version - not a regular disc. I'm installing on Mac OS X 10.6.2. It's a regular HFS+ volume, with the default options selected in the installer. Tried running the installer in three different user accounts (two standard - one using FileVault, and an admin user)

• 6. Re: .rnd file prevents syncing mobile home directories.
                    TSGal

seank:

Thanks for letting me know it was a corporate/volume license version.  I will forward this information to the appropriate people.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: .rnd file prevents syncing mobile home directories.
                      MatthewKirkcaldie

I found this thread after encountering the same issue - the FileMaker Pro 11 trial installer left a .rnd file in my user directory, and also prevented an rsync operation. So it's not just the volume license version.

Cheers,

Matthew.

• 8. Re: .rnd file prevents syncing mobile home directories.
                        TSGal

Matthew Kirkcaidie:

Thank you for your post.

What version of Mac OS X are you using?  I've tried installing the trial version on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Mac OS X Lion and no .rnd file was found.  Any other information you can provide about your current computer environment may be hellpful.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: .rnd file prevents syncing mobile home directories.
                          MatthewKirkcaldie

At the time, 10.6.8. I installed the trials of Bento and FMP within a day of each other to see which I needed, and at the end of the day the .rnd file tripped up my backup process which is why I came searching for answers. It's possible the file was installed by Bento but I hadn't seen any information about that otherwise.

It's definitely the first time I have installed FMP or Bento on this machine (last time was under Mac OS 8.1 in the 90s I think), and it was the latest installer from the FileMaker website.

Otherwise it's a standard MacBook Pro, first unibody model from late 2008, and no other issues I'm aware of.