1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2011 11:48 AM by philmodjunk

15 ? yrs ago dad set a password for database.  Now we are locked out-cant remember it!

CristiBrick

Summary

15 ? yrs ago dad set a password for database.  Now we are locked out-cant remember it!

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

MAC OS 9

Description of the issue

We finally have the money to upgrade hardware and software! However, we find we can't because all those yrs ago, maybe 20 or more, when dad went from a Commodore 64 to his first MAC, he set a password.  I have tried everything.  We can't take our invoice files and load them on another computer with any function but as a 'guest' for 'viewing only'.  Please help.  He is too old to re-write the codes.  There is no way I can write them.  I have to transfer our company files on to a newer PC so that I can open them and edit them as admin.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I load Filemaker Pro 8 on to my PC
      I ask to open an existing file.
      It offers me the admin login + password, or GUEST

If I select Guest, I can view them, but can't edit them or add to them.

• 1. Re: 15 ? yrs ago dad set a password for database.  Now we are locked out-cant remember it!
          philmodjunk

Way back when, you used to be able to acquire a "password" cracker from a third party. Don't know if such is still available for such an old copy of FileMaker. With it, you could use it on a copy of your file, open it and be able to determine the original password so that you can open an "uncracked" copy of the file with the original password and then remove this password if you want to.

If you get that issue solved, you'll want to read this knowledge base article before converting your file to FileMaker 11 format: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/750/kw/converting

If all else fails, does the level of access you now have allow you to use export records to export data from the database? If so, you can at least export the data from your current database and then import the file into a brand new FileMaker 11 file--using the new table option in the target table drop down to both import the data and create a new table. This doesn't reproduce any of your exisiting layouts or scripts, but at least you would be able to access and work with the data from your original file.