5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 12:18 PM by LaRetta_1

A save button for the scripting disappeared in FMP 10 one has to exit before a dialogue comes up

tjebbe

Summary

A save button for the scripting disappeared in FMP 10 one has to exit before a dialogue comes up

Description of the issue

another annoying bad improvement... of FMP10

• 1. Re: A save button for the scripting disappeared in FMP 10 one has to exit before a dialogue comes up
          LaRetta_1

Worse still is the Debugger. In versions prior to 9, closing the window on the debugger stopped the debug and stopped the script.  But vs. 9 changed and now closing the window makes the entire script proceed and RUN!!!  How very dangerous and it has given me many heart attacks!!  Why on earth did they change that behavior? Windows users particularly are used to stopping a process by closing the window and it worked that way BEFORE vs. 9!!

So in some dialogs, they removed the SAVE button while in others you are asked to save after closing the dialog and in some dialogs it runs script when you close window.  Where is CONSISTENCY? 

• 2. Re: A save button for the scripting disappeared in FMP 10 one has to exit before a dialogue comes up
            TSGal

tjebbe:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, there is no save script button in FileMaker Pro 9 or FileMaker Pro 10.  You either have to close the script to be prompted for a change, or you can pull down the Scripts menu and select Save Script (keyboard shortcuts Command-S on Mac or Ctrl+S on Windows).

Please enter the return of the Save button into our Feature Suggestion web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

I could easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: A save button for the scripting disappeared in FMP 10 one has to exit before a dialogue comes up
              TSGal

LaRetta:

I don't know the reason for the design change in FileMaker Pro 9.  In previous versions, there were some problems after the Debugger window was closed and a script still active.  You must press the Halt Script icon to terminate a script.  In the Help file under "Debugging scripts", it now states "When you close the Script Debugger while a script is paused, the script resumes and completes."

If you haven't done so already, please enter this as a feature suggestion on the web form (URL link listed in the previous post).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: A save button for the scripting disappeared in FMP 10 one has to exit before a dialogue comes up
                LaRetta_1

Thanks, TSGal.  I'm mostly miffed about FM not telling us of the change!  And they may have made the sentence change in FM Help but I don't agree that I should have to go clear through FM Help comparing line per line to see what might have changed.  It was NOT documented in the New Features of FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced document (it only says debugger has been enhanced).

Imagine the surprise and terror when, all throughout the world of FileMaker, Developers closed their window and had an UNTESTED AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS script run to completion.  It is the lack of information which I am fighting against and I am pleased that you are really working to set it straight.  If FM can't provide these kinds of changes in a Behavior Change document or New Features document then at least give us a comparison between the prior FM Help and a new one so we can find those wording changes - don't slide them deep into the help manual.

My palms still sweat when I think of our discovery of this one.

• 5. Re: A save button for the scripting disappeared in FMP 10 one has to exit before a dialogue comes up
                  LaRetta_1

LaRetta wrote:

My palms still sweat when I think of our discovery of this one.

Oh.  And since we are mostly windows users, we performed the same behaviour over and over until the new method sunk in (and since it had been the prior way for YEARS and YEARS, it wasn't a habit we broke easily.  And, time and again ,we all sweated bricks when we closed windows and the script ran on us.  Please work hard to keep those things from happening to all of your customers in future.