A script step of set field allows me to override field controls
Operating system version
Description of the issue
I just found out this was true by a stupid mistake, but it makes a lot of sense in light of other weird things I have seen over the years. I was writing a script and had a set field function and accidentally chose the wrong field. The field I chose was my primary key, which was a serial number and is set to prohibit modification during user entry. But because it was a script step saying to set that field, it worked! Like I said, this was a stupid mistake in this case, but in the past every once in a while I see records with a messed up primary key because all of a sudden it has == in front of it. Well, we have scripts that say, go to such and such layout and find the record that matches this primary key, using == as an operator. But unfortunately every once in a while (like 1 in a 1000, maybe) the user has done something that causes the script to operate in browse mode. I can't totally explain why. Maybe multiple windows, I don't know. But the point is, if I have set up the field so that the user can't modify it, a script shouldn't be allowed to either.
I have to go to define database, turn off the restriction on modification, fix the field on the record, then go turn the restriction back on.