3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 1:25 PM by philmodjunk

Ability to print Avery 5160 labels (with multiple find selection) from existing database

DouglasGable

Summary

Ability to print Avery 5160 labels (with multiple find selection) from existing database

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FM Pro 11

Operating system version

MAC OS X ver 10.6.6

Description of the issue

I have an existing database that I want to print mailing (Avery 5160) labels from. I need the ability to use Find (actually multiple Find criteria) to select what labels to print. Example: my database has 300 students in it - 1 row for each. I have 6 years of data (in a row) for each student. I only want to print mailing labels for those students who have been a part of classes for the past 2 years. 3 classes are held each year. I have a Yes / No indicator Field) that tells me if a student participated for each class. Using the (Find & New Record) buttons I need to selectively pull ANY student that participated in any 1 of the 6 possible classes over the past 2 years. After speaking with support, they suggested me communicating this way for you to provide guidance on using a SCRIPT. Similar to Contact Management but with MY database.

Expected result

300 students in full database - 5 sample students here...
      Student   (address info) 2008c1 2009c1 09c2 09c3 2010c4 10c5 10c6
      Student 1 xxxxxxxxxxxxx    0      0     0    0     1      1    1
      Student 2 xxxxxxxxxxxxx    0      0     1    0     0      0    0
      Student 3 xxxxxxxxxxxxx    1      0     0    0     0      0    0
      Student 4 xxxxxxxxxxxxx    0      0     1    0     0      1    0
      Student 5 xxxxxxxxxxxxx    0      0     0    0     0      0    0

I would only want to see (Find) labels for students 1, 2, 4
      Students don't fit my criteria they did not take any classes for the past 2 years.

Configuration information

I don't want to use Contact Management but I want to use the Find (& Next Record for multiples) function that is in this Starter Solution on my own database. How do I enable the Avery 5160 script on my existing database?

• 1. Re: Ability to print Avery 5160 labels (with multiple find selection) from existing database
          philmodjunk

xxxxxxxxxxxxx 0 0 1 0 0 0 0

Is that one text field, different individual fields or one repeating field?

That makes a difference in how a script would do this.

How will you specify the search criteria? Always the past 2 years or will this vary, based on what the user inputs as criteria?

PS. this part of the forum is intended for reporting possible bugs with FileMaker products. It would have been better (and you would have likely gotten a quicker response) if you had posted this question in the FM Pro Forum (see tab at top of this screen).

• 2. Re: Ability to print Avery 5160 labels (with multiple find selection) from existing database
            DouglasGable

Clarification.

In my example, the datbase contains a field for student name, mailing address, and an individual field for EACH session they have participated in. i.e. Spring 2009 - 0= no & 1= yes, Summer 2009 - 0 or 1, Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Summer 2010, etc...

I need to be able to FIND all the students that have attended AT LEAST one of those classes when printing mailing labels. I understand the a SCRIPT writen for the Contact Management Starter Solution does that. I need to be able to have that same type of FIND functionality over my database.

Sorry if this was the wrong place to post this type of question but I was directed here from the support person that helped me on the customer support phone line earlier today. Maybe I did not fully understand where he wanted me to post my question.

I'm hoping I can work through this challenge. It appears doable with a FIND script on printing labels. Thanks to all who help.

• 3. Re: Ability to print Avery 5160 labels (with multiple find selection) from existing database
              philmodjunk

I imagine they directed you to this general location, rather than this specific tab.

The contact manager starter solution won't work here because your data is structured differently. (It doesn't have all those individual fields.)

I suggest you redesign your table, but first to answer your question.

"I need to be able to FIND all the students that have attended AT LEAST one of those classes"

Apologies in advance but that really doesn't answer my question from my last post: Is the find always going to be on the same 6 fields or will this change due to new fields being added or due to the user needing a different set of records for their labels?

Here's a "brute" force solution that may or may not do what you need here: What I am describing assumes that you always will search the same 6 fields.

Define a calculation field as Field 1 + Field 2 + Field 3 + Field 4 + Field 6 (but use your field names for the last 6 of these fields in your file.

Perform a find entering a 0 in this new calculation field, but use the omit option so that you omit all records where this field is 0.

In a script it would look like this:
              Enter Find Mode []
              Set Field [YourTable::cLast6SumField ; 0 ]
              Omit Record
              Set Error Capture [on]
              Perform Find[]

Now back to the re design comment that I made earlier. If you were to define a related table for these individual fields where each field is replaced by a separate related record in this new table, this entire process would be much simpler and much, much more flexible.