Everytime launching FileMaker Pro Advanced the dialog appears

Steps to reproduce the problem

Launch FileMaker pro advanced

Expected result

No prompt because it has been added to the exceptions list

Actual result

Prompts to "Allow or Deny" incoming connections

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Do you want the application "FileMaker Pro Advanced.app" to accept incoming network connection?

Clicking Deny may limit the application's behavior.
      This setting can be changed in the Firewall pane of Security & Privacy preferences.

Configuration information

N/A

Workaround

Click Deny. But my boss is getting VERY tired of this dialog and wonders what is wrong with her Mac and/or FileMaker Pro.

Screen_Shot_2015-01-14_at_11.25.52_AM.JPG

• 1. Re: Accept Incoming Network Connections dialog every time! FMPA13
          TSGal

Jay Sayers:

Thank you for your post.

Several customers have encountered this issue, and our Development and Testing departments are aware of it.  This is a FileMaker Pro issue; not a Mac issue.  The only workaround for this annoyance is to turn off the firewall.

I have added your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Accept Incoming Network Connections dialog every time! FMPA13
            LandyAtkinson

I have had this same problem since Filemaker Pro 10 and about OS X 10.6 and it has still has not gone away.  The development teams have been aware of this for a long time and not been able to fix it.  I have tried all the "black magic" suggestions various users have posted and none make any difference.  Filemaker Pro is the only application I run that seems to not be able to work properly with the OS X Firewall.  Very frustrating, because I start Filemaker Pro 3 or 4 times a day and get the message shortly after opening the database.  I currently use Filemaker Pro Advanced (13.0v4) to connect to Filemaker Server (13.0.3.300), but as I said this has been going on through several major releases of both FMP and OS X.

• 3. Re: Accept Incoming Network Connections dialog every time! FMPA13
              LandyAtkinson

In further searching the forums, I found a thread that discusses this matter back in 2010.  It suggest running the "codesign -v" command in the terminal to verify the program signature is OK.  I did that and get the following:

LGA3Mac:~ atkinson$ codesign -v /Applications/FileMaker\ Pro\ 13\ Advanced/FileMaker\ Pro\ Advanced.app 

/Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app: a sealed resource is missing or invalid

which seems to be telling me that there is a sealed resource missing from the Filemaker Pro Advanced installation.  Just for fun, I deleted the Filemaker Pro Advanced application and reinstalled it along with it's updates and still get the same message.

It appears that the installation package for Filemaker Pro Advanced is not properly marking it's resources or not installing something that it's signature is telling OS X should be there to be properly signed.  It must really be more complicated than this or Filemaker engineers would have resolved it many versions ago, but this is at least something that the OS X system and Filemaker Installation indicate is a problem.

• 4. Re: Accept Incoming Network Connections dialog every time! FMPA13
                LandyAtkinson

Continuing along with the thread I mentioned earlier {you can find it here:  http://forums.macnn.com/79/developer-center/355720/how-re-sign-apples-applications-once/}, I asked OS X to display the signature for my version of Filemaker Pro Advanced.  Here is what I get:

LGA3Mac:~ atkinson$ codesign -dvvvv /Applications/FileMaker\ Pro\ 13\ Advanced/FileMaker\ Pro\ Advanced.app 

Executable=/Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro

Identifier=com.filemaker.client.advanced12

Format=bundle with Mach-O thin (i386)

CodeDirectory v=20200 size=88955 flags=0x0(none) hashes=4440+3 location=embedded

Hash type=sha1 size=20

CDHash=ddf19d55e33eab2360bd8b1d8b0d1af0b0f073d0

Signature size=8516

Authority=Developer ID Application: FileMaker, Inc.

Authority=Developer ID Certification Authority

Authority=Apple Root CA

Timestamp=Nov 14, 2014, 12:18:00 AM

Info.plist entries=32

TeamIdentifier=J6K4T76U7W

Sealed Resources version=2 rules=12 files=8511

Internal requirements count=1 size=192

LGA3Mac:~ atkinson$ 

I don't know what to look for here, but it is a bit odd that the line "Identifier=com.filemaker.client.advanced12" ends in 12 for version 13.  That may be what is expected, but as I say I don't know what to look for.  I also don't see any error messages like I got when I used the "codesign -v" command to verify the signature.  This might just mean the checksum is not correct for the signature and if that is the case, should be something Filemaker engineers can address.  Since I am a longtime Filemaker user, maybe the signature gets set to something invalid when installing a new version of Filemaker Pro on a system that has an older version installed.

• 5. Re: Accept Incoming Network Connections dialog every time! FMPA13
                  TSGal

Landy Atkinson:

Thank you for your posts.

The issue was introduced in FileMaker Pro 13.0v4.  It did not occur in FileMaker Pro 13.0v3.  Our Development and Testing departments are aware of the issue.

I have attached your post to the original report.  When there is more information, I will post again.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Accept Incoming Network Connections dialog every time! FMPA13
                    philmodjunk

There were similar reports that pre-date FMP 13, but these were apparently a different issue with similar symptoms.

• 7. Re: Accept Incoming Network Connections dialog every time! FMPA13
                      LandyAtkinson

This current issue may be new to Filemaker Pro 13.0v4, but the symptom has been there right along since version 10.something.  Just scan the Knowledge Base and Forums to see for yourself.  I know for a fact that I have clicked "Allow" several times a day for the past few years for all versions of 12 and 13.  I have tired all the folk lore fixes (delete firewall plist files, delete and reinstall FMP, etc.) with no success.  This symptom is NOT new with 13.0v4...

• 8. Re: Accept Incoming Network Connections dialog every time! FMPA13
                        TSGal

All:

FileMaker Pro 13.0v5 has been released, and this issue has been resolved.  Please download the updater via Knowledge Base Article #14178:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14178/

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.