1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 10, 2008 2:39 PM by rmanook

Activation Error

tachyon27

Summary

Activation Error

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 9.0v3 Operating System(s) involved:Windows 2003 Enterpise Edition(Yes, i know that's odd on a desktop but i need the ability to address more memory and processors than XP can) Detailed description of the issue:I get "A general activation error has occurred(-97)" when trying to start the application Exact steps to reproduce the issue:double click the FileMaker Pro icon.Expected Result:Actual Result:Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:A general activation error has occurred(-97) Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:1.  I have verified that i have unlimted access to the internet2.  I have verified that i have full administrative privileges, both to the machine and the domain.Any workarounds that you have found:None

• 1. Re: Activation Error
          rmanook

Hi tachyon27,

Thanks for posting!

Also, thanks for using the bug template.

There is actually a Knowledge Base Article (Support > Knowledge Base) that covers this particular issue, KB ID 6618.  I have posted the text of this Article below for your convenience.  If you have any further issues, definitely don't hesitate to post and let me know.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc.

ISSUE: 
          After installing FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Pro Advanced you receive one of the following 2 error messages upon launch of the program:

"A general activation alert has occurred (-96)"

or

"A general activation alert has occurred (-97)"

RESOLUTION:

Please follow the following steps to resolve this issue:

1. Right click My Computer, select System Properties.
          2. Click the Advanced Tab.
          3. At the bottom of the window, click Environment Variables.
          4. Locate LM_LICENSE_FILE under the System Variables.
          5. Select LM_LICENSE_FILE and click Delete.
          6. Close the Environment Variables and System Properties dialogs by clicking OK in each dialog.
          7. Launch FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Pro Advanced, and complete the Activationprocess.

The LM_LICENSE_FILE may have been required by older software licenses which also requiredActivation.  The file is not recreated, however the applications that may have accessed it for launch and activation should continue to function.