AnsweredAssumed Answered

Adding relationships invalidates other relationships

Question asked by giddiv on Jan 6, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 31, 2010 by LaRetta_1

Summary

Adding relationships invalidates other relationships

Description of the issue

Filemaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 Operating System(s) involved:MacOS X 10.6.2Windows XP SP3 Detailed description of the issue:I have a fairly complex set of table occurrences and relationships in development for a commercial product. Progress has been greatly impeded because adding (or otherwise altering) relationships to existing table occurrences will invalidate other relationships. The symptoms of this include the appearance of  or  or the disappearance of data from fields of layouts that previously showed valid data. I have been able to get the now non-working relationships restored by "twiddling" with the relationship and relationships around it. By "twiddling", I mean: 1) double clicking the relationship in the Manage Database Relationships window, 2) adding an additional criterion to the relationship, and the 3) deleting the just added criterion. This "twiddling" does not change the definition of the relationship. This procedure seems to work best if applied from the graph branches inward (where the root is the layout table occurrence).  However, the "twiddling" can cause other relationships to go bad and thus I have cascading failures in other fields and sometimes on other layouts. As a result, a somewhat minor change can require hours of random seeming recovery effort. (I have become very diligent about SVN commits.)  If I had to guess I would say that this is a symptom of a bug in a graph-following algorithm meant to update the relationship re-evaluation triggers due to the relationship edits (but I'm not a DB tool developer.) Is this a known problem from anyone?   Exact steps to reproduce the issue:Wish I knew. 

Outcomes