1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 7, 2009 2:38 PM by TSGal

Address Book field name from Bento discrepancy: new database vs. import

brookhunter

Summary

Address Book field name from Bento discrepancy: new database vs. import

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 10.0v1 (demo), Bento 2.0.3 Operating System(s) involved:Mac 10.5.6 Detailed description of the issue: I am using File>Import Records>Bento Data Source... or File>New Database>Create a database from an existing: Bento source to pull all records from the Apple Address Book (v4.1.1) into FMP 10. When a new database is created by pulling Address Book data from Bento, all parentheses in field names are replaced with underscores. If Bento data are later imported into this same database, the matching names option fails to import all field names with parentheses in them because of the mismatch in names (parentheses vs. underscore).    Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.  In FMP 10 create a new database from an existing Bento Source, and select Address Book and Entire Library.2.  Delete all records. 3.  Import records from Bento Data Source, and select Address Book and Entire Library. 4. Choose Arrange by: matching names.  Expected Result:Source field names (on the left) should match target field names (on the right), because they are imported from the same place (the Bento copy of the Address Book data). Actual Result:Home Address (City) Home Address _City_Home Address (Street) Home Address _Street_Home Address (Label) Home Address _Label_etc.  Importing with matching names results in missing data for all fields with parentheses in the name. Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:N/AAny additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:The substitution is likely made upon creating a new database to eliminate problems with using field names that contain parentheses within calculations. I think the preferred solution would be to have the Bento/Address Book field names converted before the import dialog appears, so that both source and target field names have underscores.  Any workarounds that you have found: 1. Rename all fields in the FMP database back to the original field names with parentheses before importing (this might lead to complications in creating calculated columns using these fields). 2.  Use Arrange by: last order or custom import order to match the mismatched field names. 

• 1. Re: Address Book field name from Bento discrepancy: new database vs. import
          TSGal

brookhunter:

Thank you for your post.

I can definitely duplicate the problem.

I have sent your detailed post to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments so they can be aware of this issue.

As a workaround, you can create a script step that restores the import order so you don't have to continually manually change it each time you import.

Thanks for taking the time to document this.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.