Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

MacOS-X 10.6.7

Description of the issue

Running a dual monitor setup with the primary monitor 1920x1200 and the secondary monitor 1440x900 positioned to the left and bottom-to-bottom with the primary monitor (i.e. top of primary monitor is above top of secondary monitor.  If a window is positioned on the secondary monitor and the the script step "Adjust Window [Resize to Fit]" is run, the window is move up significantly.  The top of the secondary monitor is at position 395 according to Get( WindowTop ).  After the Adjust Window command is run, the window is repositioned to vertical 95 so 300 px of the window are off the top of the secondary monitor.

Steps to reproduce the problem

The window height after adjustment has to be close to the height of the secondary monitor to exhibit the problem.  On a layout with an "adjust to fit" height of 522 did not exhibit the problem on a monitor 900 px tall but a window with an "adjust to fit" height of 820 did as did one of 695 but 670 (body height 550) did not.

Expected result

This behavior changed with FileMaker 11 somewhere.  It behaved differently in FileMaker 10 but still incorrectly where it would adjust a window with a correct height of 767 to a smaller 600 px with scroll bar and positions against the top of the secondary window

Actual result

If the left edge of the window is on the secondary screen I would expect the following:

1. If the window can be fully contained on the secondary screen in its Adjust to Fit size in its current position that the window would not move but would resize vertically and horizontally to fit the layout.

2. If the window can not be fully contained vertically on the secondary screen but can be contained horizontally in its current position I would expect it to be positioned to the top of the secondary screen without moving the left edge of the window and be resized to the maximum vertical space available on the secondary window.

3. If the window can not be fully contained horizontally or vertically that it would be positioned to the top left of the secondary screen and adjusted to the maximum width and height of the secondary screen.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Workaround

I built a script that checks the horizontal and vertical position before the Adjust Window is done and if they change it puts the window back.

• 1. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
          PaulTurnbull

We're having this one as well and I'd like to know if FMI has replicated it. I know there was post on this two years ago where FMI said they could not replicate. I just spent the morning setting up a laptop and external monitor to replicate this problem that my users were reporting. It does not happen if the monitors are the same resolutions. I'm currently coding the same work around as above. Apparently it was a good idea when I built an Adjust Window subscript as I only have to recode this once per file now. :)

• 2. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
            TSGal

John Duncan and Paul Turnbull:

There have been a couple of reports regarding multiple monitors.  The first issue occurs where the secondary monitor is placed to the left of the primary monitor and Get (WindowDesktopHeight) returns an incorrect value.  If the secondary monitor is place to the right of the primary monitor, the values are correct.  This was reported on the forum at:

Multiple monitors confuse Get ( WindowDesktopWidth )

Another issue occurs when a List layout will zoom/expand differently on a second (or third) monitor.  If resized on the left monitor, the window moves off the top of the screen, while the right monitor is positioned lower with the bottom of the window off screen.  This was also reported on the FileMaker forum at:

Zoomed List window moves partially off-screen

In each of these cases, the monitor resolutions were different and plays some part.  Also, both of these issues did not occur in FileMaker Pro 10.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of both of these issues and appear to be related to your issue.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
              JonJ

Is there any movement with this issue?

I am experiencing this with FM13 using Mavericks -- I can include script steps to return the window to its intended position, but that causes screen flicker. 

This has increased in importance, as laptop + monitor set-ups are becoming more common.

J.

• 4. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
                TSGal

JonJ:

Thank you for your post.

There is still no new information on this.

I have also attached your post to the original report.  When any new information becomes available, I will post here.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
                  harlowtech

Just to note this is also impacting several of our larger clients now they have moved to laptop plus secondary monitors.

• 6. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
                    TSGal

Daniel Harlow:

Thank you for your post.

Although there is nothing new to post, I have also attached your comments to the original report.  Until this is resolved, put in the exact measurements of the second monitor in the Adjust Window script step.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
                      DEC

Hi there...

Has anyone resolved this?  I build a solution for a client, and it's created a problem with one of their employees who uses a dual monitor setup.  Thanks...

• 8. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
                        TSGal

DEC:

There is still no resolution at this point.  As mentioned previously, the only workaround is to enter the exact measurements of the second monitor in the Adjust Window script step.

I have also attached your comments to the original report.  When there is any update, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
                          DEC

Thanks, TSGal.  I'm a bit unclear on the notion of the workaround, and am wondering if you'd be so kind as to clarify.  The script that I use to center and adjust the window is below.  It works fine where there's a single monitor.  Would you kindly advise how it should be modified to accommodate two monitors with different resolution and size?  Many thanks!

-D

"OPEN" SCRIPT (triggered when the database is opened):

Go to Layout [ “Main Menu” (Projects) ]

Adjust Window [ Resize to Fit ]

Set Variable [ $screenwidth; Value:Get ( ScreenWidth ) ]

Set Variable [ $screenheight; Value:Get ( ScreenHeight ) ]

Set Variable [ $windowwidth; Value:Get ( WindowWidth ) ]

If [ $screenwidth < 1915 or $screenheight < 1070 ]

Perform Script [ “Shrink Window_New” ]

Else

Move/Resize Window [ Current Window; Top: 0; Left: ($screenwidth/2) - ($windowwidth/2) ]

"SHRINK WINDOW_NEW" script (triggered by the OPEN script above):

Set Variable [ $desktopwidth; Value:Get ( ScreenWidth ) ]

Set Variable [ $windowwidth; Value:Get ( WindowWidth ) ]

Set Zoom Level [ 75%; Camera: Back; Resolution: Full ]

Adjust Window [ Resize to Fit ]

Set Variable [ $shrunkenwindowwidth; Value:Get ( WindowWidth ) ]
                          Move/Resize Window [ Current Window; Top: 0; Left: ($desktopwidth/2) - ($shrunkenwindowwidth/2) ]

• 10. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
                            TSGal

DEC:

Temporarily, create a new layout.  On the layout, create a button that executes the single step "Show Custom Dialog".  For the Title, enter:  Get (ScreenWidth) & "x" & Get (ScreenHeight)

For the Message, enter:   Get (WindowTop) & "x" Get (WindowLeft).

Place the file near the upper left area of the primary monitor and click the button.  You should get the expected values.

Place the file on the second monitor and click the button.  You should get a different set of values.  In some cases, depending on where the secondary monitor is situated in relation to the primary monitor, you may see negative values.  Therefore, Top: 0 may not put the window in the expected location.  This will help determine how it will function on that client's two-monitor system, where it may be different on another client's two-monitor system.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
                              ThomasMyers

FYI: If you have two different sized monitors there are some positions that Move/Resize Window will not allow being set. I haven't taken the time to figure out what the rhyme or reason is, but my main screen is a smaller size. If I try to Move/Resize Window to the larger screen. Some locations just won't work.  Very funky.

• 12. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
                                rcollins

I'm dealing with similar problems, using a MacBook on the right, and a Cinema display on the left. I've lost several hours sorting out the problem and hope to save any of you the time with the following discovery: The measurements for "Get ( WindowLeft )" on the Cinema display show negative values, as it is measuring from the left hand side of the MacBook display. I was able to use that to my advantage in a script, so that if the value is negative, it is recalculated recognizing that FileMaker is treating it like "Get ( distancefromtheleftofthefilemakerwindowtotheleftofthelaptopscreen ) ".

• 13. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
                                  bigtom

So is this a solid solution for the issue?

• 14. Re: Adjust Window Resize to Fit Dual Monitor Problem
                                    rcollins

I'm only a couple of hours into testing this idea, but so far so good. I'm not much into describing any kind of workaround as a solid solution, but it might hold you over until this bug/oversight is properly fixed.

1 2 Previous Next