3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2008 11:59 AM by TSGal

Admin console connection cannot be established even with correct Java installation

jcarlosCAUSA

Summary

Admin console connection cannot be established even with correct Java installation

Description of the issue

Last night I performed a required update for my Microsoft Server 2003. After I restarted the computer I tried to access the FileMaker Server Admin Console to change the schedule backup since it connects to a new batch processing I have for the databases (timing is critical). I couldn't access it, but I got an error warning from the FileMaker Server Admin Console. The dialog box said that "the admin console cannot establish a connection to the admin server." I checked FileMaker's knowledge base database for answers about the problem. The related reported problems seem to be caused by the use of the wrong java version (version 10 for example). However, I've been running Java 6 version 6. I also checked if the Microsoft update affected the Java version I'm running, but it didn't. I'm still running Java 6 Version 6. What other problem could be going on? Could this be related to this week Microsoft update? If so, what do can I do to fix it?

• 1. Re: Admin console connection cannot be established even with correct Java installation
          TSGal

jcarlosCAUSA:

Thank you for your post.

Obviously, you've lost the connection to the server.  I don't know if the update is the cause, so let's assume it is coincidental for the moment.

You didn't mentioned which version of FileMaker Server you are running, so make sure you have the latest version (9.0v3) and if you haven't downloaded the SSL patch, do that, too.  You can get this directly from our web site.

http://www.filemaker.com/support/downloads/index.html 

From the command line, see if you can stop the process and try again to redeploy.

Anything else you can offer may help narrow down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Admin console connection cannot be established even with correct Java installation
            jcarlosCAUSA
               <!-- [if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument>   <w:View>Normal</w:View>   <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>   <w:Compatibility>    <w:BreakWrappedTables/>    <w:SnapToGridInCell/>    <w:WrapTextWithPunct/>    <w:UseAsianBreakRules/>   </w:Compatibility>   <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif] --><!-- [if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif] --><!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:"";      margin:0in;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:12.0pt;      font-family:"Times New Roman";      mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1      {size:8.5in 11.0in;      margin:1.0in 65.95pt 1.0in 65.95pt;      mso-header-margin:.5in;      mso-footer-margin:.5in;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;} --><!-- [if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:"";      mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0in;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif] -->

I have FileMaker Server 9.0v3

I don't think that I have lost connection. The server is running and currently all of my users (clients) are connecting to the server and using our custom FileMaker application without problem.

I installed FileMaker Server 9.0v3 on 05/20/2008. I always have had the "Secure (SSL) Network Encryption = Disabled. Why do you think that I need the SSL patch? Does this SSL patch have something to do with Windows recent update?

• 3. Re: Admin console connection cannot be established even with correct Java installation
              TSGal

jcarlosCAUSA:

Glad to know you are running the latest version.

No, the SSL patch has nothing to do with the Windows update.  Here is the information about the SSL patch from our web site:

"This software replaces the SSL networking certificate file for FileMaker Server 9 or FileMaker Server 9 Advanced.  It also fixes a problem that could cause the Admin Console to fail to launch on a 64-bit Intel-based Mac running OS X 10.5.x with Java 6 installed."

Under Updater details, it states:

"The Secure Socket Layer (SSL) certificate used for secure communicationwith FileMaker Server has been replaced with an SSL certificate with valid end dates.  This addresses an issue where the end date would potentially be invalid, which would result in connection failures to some FileMaker Server hosts."

Since I didn't know much about your system at the time, I included it.  Better to give more information than not enough... :-)

If everyone is still connected, then everything is running.  You may want to schedule a time where you can bring down the system and restart it.  There's always a possibility that this won't work, but I need to start somewhere.

From the command line, you can type the following:

fmsadmin close   (this properly closes all the open database files so they don't get damaged when stopping/starting the service.)

fmsadmin stop server

fmsadmin start server

Please continue to keep me updated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.