Admin Console does not send Backup Notification

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

10 Adv

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.6

Description of the issue

After completing a scheduled backup the email notification is not sent out every time. In the sever Event Log I can see the following log entry:

Email notification to administrators failed: Cannot send SMTP message. (-223)

I know the SMTP Server settings are correct as I do receive the notifications on some days and I have verified the smtp settings with our ISP.

I cannot find any further information on the possible cause of this from the Admin Console. There is no mention of the above error in any documentation I have read.

Can anyone shed more light on this for me.

Many thanks.

Expected result

Notification email sent to specified address.

Actual result

No email received

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Server Event Log Reports:
      Email notification to administrators failed: Cannot send SMTP message. (-223)

• 1. Re: Admin Console does not send Backup Notification
          dmeyer

I am getting the same thing here on 10.6.5

• 2. Re: Admin Console does not send Backup Notification
            TSGal

Garry Kirwan and dmeyer:

Thank you for your posts, and I apologize for the late reply.

The -223 error message means SMTP message could not be sent.  You would get different error messages if you could not connect to the SMTP server (-220) or if you could not log into the SMTP server (-222).  For the times this has failed to send an email, did you notice anything out of the ordinary (even if minute)?

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Admin Console does not send Backup Notification
              user12141

Thank you TSGal for your reply.

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, activity on FileMaker Server is generally low as is activity on the SMP server.

FileMaker Server is run on a dedicated computer which has no other service running on it.

Garry

• 4. Re: Admin Console does not send Backup Notification
                TSGal

Garry Kirwan:

Thank you for the information.  I was hoping there would be something that stands out, but your setup appears normal.

In the log file, is there anything else occurring around the same time?

I don't know why this occurring sporadically, but I would like to try something...

Create a test script with a Send Mail (SMTP server) to yourself.  Check the time when the Backup finished, and create a schedule to run this new script sometime after the Backup finishes.  For example, if the Backup script usually COMPLETES at 5:00 AM, then set a schedule to run the Send Mail script at 5:15 to 5:30.  For the days the Backup script produces the -223 error, see if it also occurs for the test script.

Let me know when this fails again; either with the Backup script and/or Test script.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Admin Console does not send Backup Notification
                  user12141

TSGal, once again thank you for your input.

I have set up the test schedule as suggested and I will post if and when the next failure occurs.

Update:

We have recently switched to a new SMTP server for one of our customers and have had no failures since. This I think sheds new light on the issue. May be the problem was between FileMaker Server and that particular SMTP server?

Could that be possible?

But I also have this test running on a customers FileMaker Server that uses the original SMTP server that had failures.

Regards,

Garry

• 6. Re: Admin Console does not send Backup Notification
                    TSGal

Garry Kirwan:

First, it is good to know the new SMTP server has not encountered an failures at this time..  Please do keep an eye on this.

I don't like to speculate because the attention then focuses on that speculation.  If this fails again, please provide as much information from the log file, and write down anything at the time you believe was out of the ordinary.  It may help narrow this down further.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.