Summary

Admin Console Log stops tracking Server Access

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows 2012 Server Professional 64 bit

Description of the issue

Log on to FileMaker Server admin console in a web browser (Safari 6.2)
      Go to Log Viewer
      Check Modules.. "Server Access"
      nothing shows - used to show for the first 7 days all Server Access events

Steps to reproduce the problem

cannot replicate on demand

Expected result

shows Server Access

Actual result

still shows Server Events ..if checked

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

nothing

Configuration information

the server is a 8 core 2.4 GHz Intel Atom 2750 with 8 GB RAM and 2 TB Server Hard Drives running Windows 2012 Server 64 bit Standard -
      the load is not high - 2 files one 5 MB - the other 1.5 GB

Workaround

restart - wish is undesirable - server has nonstop runtime

• 1. Re: Admin Console Log stops tracking Server Access
          TSGal

Filekraft:

Thank you for your post.

I need some clarification.

In your workaround, you say "restart - which is undesirable - server has nonstop runtime".  Does that mean you have to restart the server?  FileMaker Server?  Or, restarting Admin Console?

After restart of Admin Console, does the Access log show information that was previously not showing?  Or, was FileMaker Server not updating the Access log?  This will help me determine if this is possible an Admin Console issue or a FileMaker Server issue.

If you use a different browser (e.g., Chrome), do you notice the same issue?  This will help me determine if the issue is browser related.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Admin Console Log stops tracking Server Access
            FileKraft

it happens on chrome and on safari.

restarting via fmsadmin restart ADMINSERVER does not resolve the issue. the only way to get it back to work is restarting the machine everything. then it will be good for a couple of days until it fails again ..

i have been reporting this for server 13v2 and i am not the only one with that bug.

• 3. Re: Admin Console Log stops tracking Server Access
              FileKraft

also after the restart of just the adminserver if i check the "Server Acces" in the log it shows me the spinning red wheel/beams and after spinning for a while it kicks me out of my server admin connection to the server admin login screen,

• 4. Re: Admin Console Log stops tracking Server Access
                TSGal

Filekraft:

Since you have to restart the entire server, I'll assume that besides the Admin Console, FileMaker Server has hung and no clients were able to connect to either of the two database files.  True?

What does the event.log show?  What appears in the system logs around the same time frame as FileMaker Server hanging?

Do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, what are the plug-ins?

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Admin Console Log stops tracking Server Access
                  FileKraft

the client access is fine - the event log shows everything but stopped logging "server access". no plug-ins installed nothing else running no web direct or PHP or any other service except filemaker client access. i even turned off differential backups / progressive backups - just run plain vanilla FMS because the more i used the less stable it became. most of the work the server does is server side scripts thru execute script on server calls. and scheduled server scripts.

• 6. Re: Admin Console Log stops tracking Server Access
                    TSGal

Filekraft:

Thanks for the clarification.  Since "client access is fine", the database server is still up and running.

In the access log, look at the last time server access (Perform Script on Server) executed, and then the next time it should have occurred.  Check the event log during that time frame to see if there is anything out of the ordinary.  You may also want to check the Windows server system logs during that time frame to see if anything other than FileMaker executed.

Continue to keep me updated.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Admin Console Log stops tracking Server Access
                      FileKraft

when perform scripts on server happened and at the same time a schedule kicked in - the log of the script starts same as a schedule which is wrong - normally scripts executed on server start:  "client .."  and schedules start: "schedule .." - so that might be indicative.

other weirdness is that after server restart  email notifications are pruned in the email subject . if i restart the server again i might get an unpruned title.

there are no other services running on the machine - turned off even new 13 features except server side executed scripts.

thank you!

• 8. Re: Admin Console Log stops tracking Server Access
                        TSGal

Filekraft:

Thank you for the information.

Our Testers would like to see all of your server log files.  They want to try and understand how the Client entry is logged as Schedule.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the files.

How often do the schedules run, and how often is the Perform Script on Server run?

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.