8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 10:32 AM by TSGal

Admin Console problems: no databases visible, crashes on client view

dp

Summary

Admin Console problems: no databases visible, crashes on client view

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Server 9.0.3.325Operating System(s) involved:Windows 2003 Server on VMWare (server)Windows XP SP3 with Java Runtime 6 Update 7 (client)Detailed description of the issue: As of yesterday, I am experiencing three symptoms with the Admin Console that may or may not be related:(A) Selecting the Administration/Clients panel causes the Admin Console to crash with an "unknown error"(B) No databases are visible in the Administration/Databases panel.(C) In the Configuration/Database Server/Default Folders tab, both the database path and backup path show "not a valid path". These paths were valid the last time I checked and have not been changed. Furthermore, the server continues to serve databases in the invalid additional database folder without issue, and nightly backups run successfully despite the backup path being invalid.Exact steps to reproduce the issue: (A) Clicking on Clients in the left-hand Admin Console menu or on the View menu on the menu bar(B) as above(C) Enter paths filewin:/E:/Filemaker/Databases/ (additional database folder) and filewin:/E:/Filemaker/Backups/ (backup folder)Expected Result:(A) A list of Filemaker clients (and not a crash)(B) A list of 9 database files present in the additional database folder path(C) Acceptance of the existing database and backup paths as validActual Result:(A) Admin Console crashes(B) Blank database display, with the header "0 databases, 0 selected"(C) "Not a valid path" returned for both paths. Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:(A) Admin Server Connection Error: An unknown error has occurred.(B) n/a(C) Not a valid path Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:Verified that ports 16000 and 16001 are open on the server.Verified that fmsadmin group and SYSTEM both have Full Control permissions on database paths.The Windows TEMP folder has been moved to the (large) E: volume to solve a previous issue with Filemaker temporary files filling up the small VM C: volume and causing server crashes.This may not be relevant, but I tried to issue a server stop from the Admin Console a few weeks ago which caused the Console to hang, and attempts to quit the Console and re-connect would also enter a hung state. I ended up contacting the VM manager to have the VM restarted. Any workarounds that you have found:(none)

• 1. Re: Admin Console problems: no databases visible, crashes on client view
          TSGal

dp:

Thank you for your post.

I don't have access to VMWare, so I am unable to recreate your setup.  Without VMWare, I cannot duplicate the problem.

I have sent this post to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  When I receive information, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Admin Console problems: no databases visible, crashes on client view
            dp
               Thanks for the response. A further symptom I've noticed today: the server statistics have stopped updating as well. Strangely, my users continue to be able to connect and use the served databases without any problems.
            • 3. Re: Admin Console problems: no databases visible, crashes on client view
              TSGal

dp:

Thanks for the additional information.  I have attached this last post to the case.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Admin Console problems: no databases visible, crashes on client view
                philmodjunk

dp wrote:
                Strangely, my users continue to be able to connect and use the served databases without any problems.

When I was having isues with FMS 10 console, (now solved), I was puzzled by the same thing. I later realized that console and the FMS service are two separate applications. Thus, clients can continue to interact with the service even though console has crashed, or if you simply quit the console application.

• 5. Re: Admin Console problems: no databases visible, crashes on client view
                  dp

Ah! Interesting. I did a quick search on [filemaker console service restart] and landed on your previous thread. Since I don't have direct access to the server system, can you help me out with the instructions I should pass on to the server admin for restarting the Admin Console service without restarting the FMS service?

Thanks,

Dan

• 6. Re: Admin Console problems: no databases visible, crashes on client view
                    philmodjunk
                       I'm using FMS 10, not 9. I don't know how much difference there is between the two. In FMS 10, I just relaunch console and type in the password.
                    • 7. Re: Admin Console problems: no databases visible, crashes on client view
                      dp

Ah -- you mean you just start the console Java app again. I've restarted the console app multiple times (have had to, because it crashes out entirely when I try to view connected clients), and I see the same symptoms every time I reconnect.

Thanks for the feedback, though!

• 8. Re: Admin Console problems: no databases visible, crashes on client view
                        TSGal

All:

Sorry for the late reply, but here is an update from over a month ago from one of the testers.

----------- 

My setup is VMware ESXi 3.5 with Windows 2k3EE as VM.  OS drive is 0% free.  FileMaker Server 9.0v3 with alternative database location.  I let this run for half a day with 245 simulated users and did not experience the documented problems.

This could be a problem if using Windows 64 bit OS.

The user mentions that the Admin changed the System Temp variable to E:\temp.  Did he/she also change the %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp  ?

Is the user that reported this using a local profile or roaming profile when he remotes in?

FileMaker Server is currently not certified with Virtualization, although this usually works rather well.

(UPDATE FROM THE NEXT DAY)

The setup is still going strong.  I suspect the underlying problems are with the setup and configuration of the VM and VMWare itself, since the customer has indicated the VM's are running out of disk space and modifications to the OS were performed.  It is also unclear if the VMWare Server itself is also having difficulty.  We do not have the details of the exact hardware setup of the customer.  For instance, are the VM images stored on an NFS share located on an iSCSI device, SAN Device or local to the datastore.  Networking topology and such all play a major factor on performance and reliability of the VM and any possible data corruption to the VM itself.  I have seen on occasion corrupted images when the Hypervisor server equipment is in question.

------------

I will forward any additional information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.