0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2014 5:54 AM by luistavera

admin console stops seeing server after upload of file with odbc data source

luistavera

Summary

admin console stops seeing server after upload of file with odbc data source

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows Server 2008 R2

Description of the issue

Hi all,

I am having the following problem with filemaker server admin console both on a FMS 11.0.3.309 and a FMS 11.0.5.510 installations. The former on Windows Server Standard service pack 2, and the latter on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard.

1) The admin console works fine.

2) I upload to the server a filemaker file that uses an odbc connection to a Microsoft SQL Server.

3) The admin console starts sending the message "the database server is not available" and I loose its functionality.

However, everything except the admin console works fine: the database server *is* running, clients can connect, the odbc connections work fine, etc. I just loose the functionality of the admin console and have to settle with fmsadmin command line tool to do basic admin tasks.

Any idea of what might be going on? I set up the second server assuming a clean install would get rid of this problem, but it didn't. It just made me realize the fact that uploading the .fp7 files with odbc data sources was the trigger of the problem.

thanks,

luis

Steps to reproduce the problem

1) Setup a working FMS environement including admin console

2) Upload a .fp7 file that uses an external data source through odbc, but do not configure odbc yet

3) Verify that the uploaded file can be opened through fms (of course, no external data is available) with a client running on the server machine

4) Verify that the admin console works normally

5) Configure odbc to point to the external data

6) Verify that the uploaded file can see the external data

Expected result

The admin console works normally and provides all its functionality.

Actual result

The admin console runs, but it sends the message "the database server is not available" and looses most of its functionality.

The database server works fine.

The fmsadmin tool works fine.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"the database server is not available" (see screen shot below)

Configuration information

I have seen the problem both on a FMS 11.0.3.309 and a FMS 11.0.5.510 installations. The former on Windows Server Standard service pack 2 (32 bit), and the latter on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64 bit).

Workaround

Use the fmsadmin tool to do basic management tasks, but I loose the ability to edit schedules for example.

database-server-not-available.png