7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 2:21 PM by TSGal

Admin Console, no databases or clients visible!

Antti

Summary

Admin Console, no databases or clients visible!

Description of the issue

Admin Console will not list databases or clients. This means that I can't close databases using the console, but have to go command line. Well, I guess the console works a bit better now, since it is not crashing all the time as it used to. It's totally useless, though. I am using the recommended version of Java JRE. I know others have trouble with the console, too, can you not get it working?

• 1. Re: Admin Console, no databases or clients visible!
          TSGal

Antti:

Thank you for your post.

This is one of those problems that we have been unable to duplicate in house.  We know it exists, and customers have sent in their log files, but this points us to more of the symptom than the cause.

If you can remember what was occurring just prior to Admin Console not listing the Databases nor Clients, that may be helpful.  If possible, we would like to see your log files.  I have sent your a private message - top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send these files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Admin Console, no databases or clients visible!
            Antti

I started the console in order to close databases before running OS updates. I usually close the dabases using the CLI since the console is very crashy. I thought installing the recommended JRE helped, since I was actually able to see the databases listed once in the console and it did not crash. It is still unstable, read on...

Sending log files sure isn't the easiest task, is it? I think there's some 7 gigs of log files in different directories under "%programfiles%\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\", and I won't send any files I have not read and replaced sensitive information. I'm not even considering sending that large files. In subdirectory Logs, there are a couple of huge ones. I thought that they don't roll over as they should, so I tried to check the settings via Admin Console. I clicked on Logging settings (under Database server). I discovered that clicking most stuff works in the Admin Console, but not "Database Server", it has worked before as the server was set up using the GUI. Now, I got a MsgBox titled "Configuration error" saying "The text provided exceeds the maximum limit." Ok, I guess I am not changing the logging settings, if there were any. I really can only tail you some of those logs if necessary.

Which logs can be renamed (and deleted)? Which services must be stopped prior to these actions. Where are the settings for rolling over logs?

• 3. Re: Admin Console, no databases or clients visible!
              TSGal

Antti:

Thank you for the additional information.

I wouldn't expect anyone to send 7GB of log files.  You can just take the most recent ones, especially after a crash, and send those.

The 7GB of log files can affect performance, so you can remove older log files, and even remove them all.  If FileMaker Server doesn't see an existing log file, it will create a new one.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Admin Console, no databases or clients visible!
                L.S.

Hello from Germany!

We have the same problem with FileMaker Server 11.0.2. We can change something in the UAC, but nothing will be saved. We have tried this with a lot of java-versions without results. The option to reboot the server (http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7452/kw/console%20out%20of%20sync) is certainly not satisfactory. We can't reboot the server of our customers. 

We can manage the FMS with the fmsadmin-commands, but our problem is, when the UAC stands still, we receive no email-notification if the schedule is duly finished or not.

Has anyone a solution for us which is better than the solution above (link)?

Kind regards

• 5. Re: Admin Console, no databases or clients visible!
                  TSGal

L. S.:

Thank you for your post.

The original post was reported during the FileMaker Server 10 timeframe, and the only solution at that time to restart the Admin Console was to restart the server.  With FileMaker Server 11, you do not need to reboot the server as you can just restart the Admin Console.

On what type of machine and OS is FileMaker Server running?  Are you running the Admin Console on the server or a remote machine?  If a remote machine, what OS are you running?  What version of Java are you running?  Anything else you can tell us about your computing environment may be helpful in narrowing down possible causes.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Admin Console, no databases or clients visible!
                    L.S.

Hello TSGal, thank you for your answer!

We're using a Windows Server 2003 SP2 R2 remote machine (virtual). I know that we can reboot the Admin Console only, but it is impossible for us to do stuff at the server of our customers. 

We tried a lot of different Java-Versions but it doesn't work. Do you have any ideas how we can crack this problem? 

Best regards!

• 7. Re: Admin Console, no databases or clients visible!
                      TSGal

L. S.:

Thank you for the additional information.

Try launching the Admin Console from a machine other than the current machine.  This may help rule out any system/Java related issues.  If the Admin Console displays properly from the second machine, then you will need to do some further troubleshooting to determine what is different between the two machines.  If you get the same results on the second machine, then there is something occurring at the server, and you will need to schedule a time with your customer for server maintenance and reboot the machine.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.