Summary

After update to FM v12.03 Data Viewer no content

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

mac os x 10.8.2

Description of the issue

No data visible in the Current tab of the Data viewer.

After updating FM 12 Advanced v12.01 to v.12.03, I happily worked with the program and didn't noticed any problems, till today. I started working on my file again and scripting away, un till I wanted it to debug. Opened data viewer and ran the script, but nothing showed up in the data viewer. No global variables, nothing. So I tried again and again. Made a new file, changed lay outs, threw away my preferences, etc, etc. But even on a new bare file I didn't get something to show up in the data viewer. Running it with script debugger where you go step by step, everything is there. But after the script has run, bingo... empty viewer. When I switch to Watch in the data viewer and back to current... everything shows up. Soon as I run a script again, gone, empty, nada. I switch view mode and back again, everything is there. I run another script, gone, empty, ........etc.

Steps to reproduce the problem

No steps. It suddenly is there for all files new and old, all themes.

Expected result

Showing $$variables in Current Tab of the Data viewer

Actual result

Nothing visible in the Current Tab of the Data Viewer. It's there, because changing from current to watch and then back again, shows the $$variables. Also when I switch from browse- to lay out mode and back again, they become visible.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message

Workaround

Changing the Data Viewer from Current to Watch and then back again, shows the $$variables. Also when I switch from browse- to lay out mode and back again or clicking on the desktop and then back to FM, they become visible.

DataViewer.png

• 1. Re: After update to FM v12.03 Data Viewer no content
          RickWhitelaw

If there is no script running there should be nothing in the Current tab of the Data Viewer. This is normal. That's what "Current" means. If you want to Watch values or variables, enter  new expressions to monitor in the Watch tab.

• 2. Re: After update to FM v12.03 Data Viewer no content
            RickWhitelaw

Also, when you run a script in real time you likely won't see anything in the Current tab. When debugging, as you've said, it's all there.

• 3. Re: After update to FM v12.03 Data Viewer no content
              LungWan

Thanks for your reply, Rick.

I understand that, but global variables should always be visible after they have been populated. Until you close your file or programm, or you mannually set them empty, they should always be visible, not only during the run of the script. How else could you be debugging if you can't verifie what the $$variable contains. Yes, in the monitor, but that means keep switching between current and monitor. I have always had my populated globals visible in the current tab during the time the file was open. At least that is my experience. Tell me when I am wrong. I'm just a newbie so I will learn from my mistakes. In the mean time I switched back to FM 12.0.1 and my $$variables are visible again, the whole time. And they are the same files as I used in v03. Not a copy or new ones, no exactly the same files. So, for the time being, I keep working in v01.

• 4. Re: After update to FM v12.03 Data Viewer no content
                philmodjunk

I cannot reproduce this in Windows Xp with FileMaker 12.03. This could be a mac only issue or there is some other cause not yet discovered.

• 5. Re: After update to FM v12.03 Data Viewer no content
                  LungWan

I know it will be difficult to find out how it happened. I can't produce it either. It just happened one time when I opened FM v3. First I thought it was just this one file, but it was with all my files. So I tried with a file from scratch. Same thing. I couldn't get the $$variables back in the Data Viewer. Most of the times when you refresh your preferences it is oke again. No luck either. All the usual stuff on the Mac done, P-RAM zap, etc. Even a new install of the update. Nothing. So back to FM12.0v1. Bingo. No problems anymore. Everything oke. Beats me.

• 6. Re: After update to FM v12.03 Data Viewer no content
                    Steve Wright

I was about to say I can reproduce this, but I dont need to, this behaviour is consistent on my Windows 7, 8 and OSX ML machines with 12v3.

Switching windows back and forth to any other application or document window brings back all relevant values to the data viewer (globals etc).
                         Switching tabs between Watch and Current also does, but I only realised this today after reading the following related post:

Data Viewer Current tab goes blank when script ends

• 7. Re: After update to FM v12.03 Data Viewer no content
                      LungWan

Thanks for your Reply SWS,

I was beginning to wonder if it still was my OS X, because of not receiving any more complaints that others experienced the same. So it is not only me. I've read the other post and there are more. Hope this can be fixed.

• 8. Re: After update to FM v12.03 Data Viewer no content

Lung Wan:

Thank you for the post.

I was able to replicate this on both Mac OS X 10.7.5 and Windows 7 running FileMaker Pro 12v3. I have forwarded your report to Development and Testing for review.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: After update to FM v12.03 Data Viewer no content
                          CraftICT

Appreciate FileMaker have already acknowledged this above, but to confirm we can recreate this exactly as Lung Wan first described using Mac Mountain Lion and FMPA 12.0v3, including the global variable reappearing when toggle between Watch and Current. Haven't tested this as yet in Windows.

For reference from the FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced help page: "Global variables are displayed even if no scripts are currently running."

Andy