scottworld

Summary

Aligning objects gives fractional points to position

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

When you align objects in FileMaker 12, FileMaker assigns FRACTIONAL NUMBERS (in points) to the top/left/right/down positions of the items that you have just aligned, instead of WHOLE NUMBERS. This is terrible, because FileMaker BLURS THE EDGES OF OBJECTS whose edge positions are not assigned to whole numbers. Alignment should ALWAYS result in WHOLE NUMBERS (in points). Always. Because if it doesn't, then FileMaker blurs the object.

Workaround

There is an amazing workaround to this debilitating bug that another FileMaker developer named Paul Howard discovered. These are his words, verbatim:

I don't know of a way to prevent FileMaker from aligning on a fractional point but I can tell you how to make sure that none of your layout elements STARTS OUT on a fractional point (well, at least the top and left edges) before you attempt to align them.

1. If you don't already have one, add a layout element whose top left corner is at {0,0}.
      2. In the Position tab of the Inspector window, enable "Snap to Grid"
      3. In Layout mode, Select All.
      4. Drag your selected layout elements away from the top left corner, then back to it.

Voila! Any element that previously had a fractional position on the top or left edge is now on a whole number.

What this *won't* help with is the condition wherein you need to align one or more elements to the right edge of an element that has a fractional width value, or bottom edge of one with a fractional height value.

• 1. Re: Aligning objects gives fractional points to position
          philmodjunk

What this *won't* help with is the condition wherein you need to align one or more elements to the right edge of an element that has a fractional width value, or bottom edge of one with a fractional height value.

It would make sense to me to use the width box on the position tab to adjust the width of this "align to" object to a whole number before right aligning objects to it.

• 2. Re: Aligning objects gives fractional points to position
            Steve Wright

I have previously reported this one to FileMaker via other means and am hoping for some sort of fix in 12.  
                 It makes all the alignment tools, grouping, dynamic guides etc essentially useless since its far to easy to end up in a situation where fractions of a points are in use, which look absolutely awful.

One thing you cannot fix however (well I can't)  is the repetition border between repeating fields.

When a repeating field with more than 1 rep is set to expand horizontally, in browse mode the inner border will become blurry, depending on the window size whereas the right hand border remains crips as if its snapping to the nearest point.

Fingers crossed for a v4 revision.

• 3. Re: Aligning objects gives fractional points to position
              scottworld

This is such a terrible problem in FileMaker 12. They NEED to fix this immediately. But I've reported close to 50 bugs since FileMaker 12 was released, and not a single one of them has been fixed yet. This is how FileMaker Inc. works... they rarely listen to customer feedback, and it often takes them 8-10 YEARS to fix a single problem.

• 4. Re: Aligning objects gives fractional points to position
                Fred(CH)

Oh Dears, I agree 100 times : i was an addict to the align / resize / space functions with older versions until 11 included, even before the inspector, by using organize menu. I saved many time using these commands, i remember it did always the same operations like a robot : sizing all field and title objects equal, then align and space them. Ahh Nostalgia ! crying

Now, it is over : working this way is almost impossible, because it seems that each later modification however unimportant requires a whole new adjustment.

And the dynamic guides don't help so much because they provide a lot of weird suggestion... Thus, i am now a [cmd] and [CTRL] key addict. But i turn a bit outer subject, i know...

Conclusion : seriously, sorry guys, creating a layout take me at least twice more time than before (i feel like a penguin with a mouse and a keyboard)... But what's a look, OK, i must admit : my layouts are really goodlooking now !

Why Couldn't we have both efficiency on desining AND the goodlooking layouts, Daddy, please ?
                     Kiss, Fred

PS: Please note that i don't talk about time to set the various new v12 settings. For these, i simply apply one of the stunning themes, two clics (or three?) and it is over ! Thus i only talk about basics. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Aligning objects gives fractional points to position
                  Fred(CH)

Hello There,

FMI are you here ?

This post was never answered by TSPersonal.

And Markus Schneider have now posted it as an Idea....

no longer fractual pt placement

But it is not a reason, come on .

Greetings, Fred

• 6. Re: Aligning objects gives fractional points to position
                    hschlossberg

Yup, I once had a conversation with an FMI engineer, who insisted this was a feature because why wouldn't we want to measure things in 1000th of a pixel?!?!?  And then he said it was necessary in case we changed between inches or centimeters and pixels.  I'd suggested that pixels should be the smallest unit of measurement and that object positions and sizes should always adjust to the nearest pixel -- and that even if the physical objects don't adjust, just SHOW me pixels in whole numbers.  There is no reason in the world why we need to adjust anything by even HALF a pixel, let alone 1/1000th of a pixel. 

Why not go for as much accuracy as a computer can measure?  It is easy to glance at objects and make sure they are at the right size or position in relation to other objects when they have whole numbers.  But comparing  6 or 7-digit numbers (including the decimal portion) is just too difficult to keep in one's head.

Howard

• 7. Re: Aligning objects gives fractional points to position
                      TSGal

All:

Sorry for not responding sooner.

Some of this has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 14.  In FileMaker Pro 13, if you aligned objects on vertical center, you could end up with fractional point values for an object.  For example, if you have two fields, set the width and height of the first field to 240 x 72.  Set the width and height of the second field to 141 x 43.  When you then align on center, the second field will have fractional point values for Left, Right, Top and Bottom.  In FileMaker Pro 14, this will no longer happen.

However, if you start with an object with fractional values (e.g., from a previous version), then the other objects will not be properly aligned.

The issue still exists if you have grouped objects of different sizes and then resize the group.  The individual objects could contain fractional values.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.