Alt+Shift-dragging object in layout mode doesn't work as it's supposed to

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.04 Advanced

Operating system version

OS X 10.8

Description of the issue

We are at version 4 (!) of FM 12 and you STILL haven't solved the Alt+Shift-drag object in layout mode behavior.
      When you hold down ALT and SHIFT and grab an object the normal behavior is that the object is copied in 90 degree angles. It has ALWAYS been like this, why have you removed it?!?!

PLEASE fix asap!

Steps to reproduce the problem

Read above

Expected result

Read above

Actual result

Read above

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Read above

• 1. Re: Alt+Shift-dragging object in layout mode doesn't work as it's supposed to
          MikhailEdoshin

I recently posted two very detailed reports about Shift-dragging issues (exactly same as what you're observing) and was told that this is documented behavior and if you want it back, you should you submit a feature request. (I disageed that this is documented, but haven't got any reply since.)

• 2. Re: Alt+Shift-dragging object in layout mode doesn't work as it's supposed to

carlsson:

Thank you for the post.

A number of changes occurred to Layout editing behavior from FileMaker Pro 11 to FileMaker Pro 12. For a documented list of changes to Layout Mode in FileMaker Pro 12, please refer to FileMaker's knowledge base article 10260:

Layout Mode Enhancements in FileMaker Pro

What are some of the new Layout mode enhancements in FileMaker Pro?

The change to the shift-click behavior is mentioned in the article above. For a list of FileMaker Pro 12 keyboard shortcuts see the following:

FileMaker® Pro 12 Keyboard Shortcuts (Windows)

FileMaker® Pro 12 Keyboard Shortcuts (Mac OS)

Additionally, if the goal of this post is to see this change reverted to the behavior in FileMaker Pro 11, then I would encourage you to enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html 

These web form suggestions are monitored and read by our Development and Product Management departments and then discussed and considered for a future release. Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are some questions asked that only you can answer.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Alt+Shift-dragging object in layout mode doesn't work as it's supposed to
              philmodjunk

@TS Falcon,

I don't think you are paying sufficient attention to what we are trying to tell you.

Your reference to this KB article seems to be based on the following text:

Four additional selection knobs have been added between the current four selection knobs on objects that are selected in Layout Mode.  These new knobs are the equivalent to the use of the SHIFT key in FileMaker Pro 11 to constrain the resizing behavior.

But Mikhail is reporting changes to what happens when you REPOSITION a layout object. As far as I can tell, (I actually text searched the article for the word "shift" to make sure I wasn't missing anything), no part of this article addresses this strange and undesirable behavior change that occurs when you hold down the shift key while moving a layout object from one position to another, nor does it indicate that this behavior has been changed when resizing an object, only that you can now use the added knobs to get the same result.

And the phrase: "CURRENT FILEMAKER PRO BEHAVIOR: Less relevant with new extra selection knobs." implies that using the shift key still works the same but is not needed as often. As Mikhail has repeatedly tried to tell you, this is not the case.

That said, the article does document the change in behavior for holding down the alt key, but not alt-shift. In my book, that's the same issue, the shift key change re-visited.

Placing this incomplete and misleading info in a KB article that developers may or may not even find doesn't really help developers make the change from FMP 11 to 12 even if it did a better job of documenting the changes.

• 4. Re: Alt+Shift-dragging object in layout mode doesn't work as it's supposed to

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the post.

I understand the viewpoint and what is being reported. 

Shift click behavior to constrain movement has changed in FileMaker Pro 12. You can still shift click but movement is locked into up or down, depending on your first choice. The user can still Alt-Shift click to duplicate an item on a layout, but now the item will no longer be constrained, instead the user may place the copied object anywhere on the layout. 

Am I missing anything else?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Alt+Shift-dragging object in layout mode doesn't work as it's supposed to
                  philmodjunk

Only that alt-shift-click does not duplicate an item in any version of FileMaker. Alt used to temporarily disable the snap to grid. Now, it disables the guides. alt shift combines the effects of alt and shift at the same time--in both versions, But with the Alt part being different with the versions.

Control Drag duplicates an option and shift fails to constrain the movement of the duplicated object. In fact, you get no visual feedback at all from control drag except for the position of the mouse cursor at all. In 12, that makes control drag pretty useless. I now use the keyboard shortcut to duplicate the object and then rely on dragging with the guides to re-align the new object.