2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 3:31 PM by MarinoPascal

Always requires password, closing one file closes them all, dropdown select doesn't work

MarinoPascal

Summary

Always requires password, closing one file closes them all, dropdown select doesn't work

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Filemaker Pro 11.0v2

Operating system version

Mac OsX 10.6.5

Description of the issue

Sorry for bundling these seemingly unrelated issues but they all started at the same time and the only explanation I have is corrupt installtion of FMP. I re-installed and was good for a couple of days but then they came back. My install file came from the 2 for 1 download and was named fmp_11.0.2.220.dmg.zip

I've been using FMP since version 3. It is possible that files that I have used over the years may have become corrupt but I can duplicate these errors on brand new files from the bundled templates or bare bones new files that have just one field and no scripts, relationships or calculations.

What are the issues?
      #1 Opening a file always requires password (usr:Admin, pass:empty works most of the time.) This is very annoying when I open a solution that has 12 related files. Then I need to enter a password 12 times. Telling Keychain to remember has no effect.
      This had never happened before I've been using these files for 10 years but as I said even brand new files ask for password.

#2 Closing one file, closes them all. Even new files with no relationships or scripts. I may have 3 unrelated files open. Contacts, photo library, expenses. Closing one of the will close them all.

#3 Dropdown select. I click inside a field with a dropdown menu, the menu appears. I click on an item, the item gets highlighted. I doubleclick to enter the item's value... nothing happens. Only the RETURN key will enter the value.

#4 URLs like http://cnn.com in text fields are clickable without a Go To URL script button.

• 1. Re: Always requires password, closing one file closes them all, dropdown select doesn't work
          TSGal

Marino Pascal:

Thank you for your post.

After opening an older file in FileMaker Pro 7 or greater (including FileMaker Pro 11), you are prompted for a user name and password.  Usually, Admin with no password suffices.  Pull down the File menu and select "File Options", and under the Open/Close tab, check the option to Log in using an Account name and password.  This will bypass you having to enter the Account name and password each time.

Closing one file should not close all of them unless you have a closing script that closes the other files.  Check to make sure the files are not hidden.

Once you click on a field with a dropdown value list, you should be able to click on one of the value list items and it will fill in.  Are you able to use the arrow keys?

A URL in a text field can be clickable by holding down the command key.  If this is working otherwise, make sure you don't the field set up as a button to execute a script.

Please keep me updated with any additional information so I can try to determine what is occurring.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Always requires password, closing one file closes them all, dropdown select doesn't work
            MarinoPascal

I uninstalled  the programs Neu and MoveAddict, uninstalled and reinstalled Filemaker and all the weird problems I describe above went away.

I'm blaming those utilities although I didn't have the patience to be scientific and reinstall them one by one to narrow it down to one guilty party. My guess is that it was Neu. But I know I had uninstalled and reinstalled FilemakerPro before without relief. The relief came after I removed those utilities.