Summary

An installed OnTimer script could not be found or could not be run

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS 7+

Description of the issue

We have a database thats currently hosted on a Windows Server 2008 machine running FM Server 12. Occasionally, when opening the database from the iPhone FM Go 13 application, we get an error message stating "An installed OnTimer script could not be found or could not be run with current access privileges." This stops the database from opening, and returns you to the "Recent" screen. Repeated attempts result in the application crashing. This happens on both the iPhone and iPad versions, but not on the Mac version.

I've exported all of the scripts in the database, and searched for a rogue Install OnTimer script step, none exist in the database. This happens with both Full Access and custom privilege sets, ruling out security settings as a culprit.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Error

An installed OnTimer script could not be found or could not be run with current access privileges.

Workaround

Reset the mobile device or force-close the application and reopen

photo.png

• 1. Re: An installed OnTimer script could not be found or could not be run
          philmodjunk

A Try running a recover on the file and test the recovered copy to see if you get the same results--even if recover reports no problems found. This test will help rule out the possibility that you are using a damaged file (Though damaged files can recover clean in rare cases...)

Also, Next time that this happens, try this on the iOS device: Close the file. Double click the home button to bring up the list of all open Apps. Flick the FileMaker Go app up to close the application. Then re-open FileMaker Go and your file and see if it now works. There are a number of "buggy behavior" issues in FileMaker 13 that can be temporarily fixed by this method. Perhaps this is yet another...

• 2. Re: An installed OnTimer script could not be found or could not be run
            lednext

Ran a recovery, no issues were found.

Also, pulled the db off the server, saved as a compacted copy (to reindex) and reuploaded. Still occasionally getting the same "OnTimer script cannot be found or run" error. 

I assume closing the app via double tapping the home button and swiping up will temporarily fix the issue by force-closing the application, but typically it crashes immediately after displaying this message, and returns the user to the home screen. Subsequently re-opening the app and db work fine, but we would like to identify whats causing the db to search for/run an OnTimer script when none currently exist.

Thanks 

• 3. Re: An installed OnTimer script could not be found or could not be run
              TSGal

Mike Levy:

Thank you for your posts.

Do you notice if this message appears when accessing a specific layout?  If so, are there any script triggers associated with that layout?  Are there any buttons on the layout that may be executing the Install OnTimer script step, as that would not appear in any script?

How long of a period occurs before this message appears?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: An installed OnTimer script could not be found or could not be run
                steve@scoopconsulting.ca

Did you ever get an answer / or solution to your 'OnTimer' error?  I am getting the exact same error.  I have an older (FM3) solution that has been converted forward to FM 14.  It runs fine on desktop, but periodically I get the OnTimer error when Filemaker Go is left idle for a while.

Thanks ... Steve.

• 5. Re: An installed OnTimer script could not be found or could not be run
                  TSGal

steve:

Do you have FileMaker Pro Advanced?  If so, run the file with the Debugger to see what scripts are being accessed.

If you still don't see an Install OnTimer Script step executing, do you notice if a specific layout is being accessed when this error occurs?  Do you have a way to reproduce the issue?  If so, send in a copy/clone of your database file.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: An installed OnTimer script could not be found or could not be run
                    steve@scoopconsulting.ca

Thanks TS.

I do have FM Pro Adv, but the problem is only encountered when the solution is running on an iphone.  It is an intermittent problem that only appears after the user is connected for a long time.  I have not encountered it on my own phone and so cannot easily replicate the problem, but my clients  have sent me screen prints.  I believe it is always occurring in the same layout.  I have run a database design report and searched that for 'on timer', but found nothing.

Thanks ... Steve.

• 7. Re: An installed OnTimer script could not be found or could not be run
                      TSGal

steve:

Do you know what the users are doing on that layout when the error message occurs?  Have you checked all scripts accessed by the layout for "Install OnTimer Script" script step?

How long has FileMaker Go been running on the iPhone before this issue occurs?

How often are the iPhone users rebooting the iPhone?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: An installed OnTimer script could not be found or could not be run
                        lednext

No solution was ever found. This continues to occur today. Our solution was created in FM 12 and converted to FM 14, and now being used in FM 15. The application generally crashes when this occurs or I have my clients force close the application and reopen it.

To TSGal, the users are exiting hibernation. It occurs when they open/re-open the application after a period of inactivity. I have checked all scripts including the startup/close scripts for any "onTimer" steps. Hard to say how long FM Go is running before this occurs, but generally it happens after a client exits the application and returns after a few hours. This happens on iPhone and iPad. Rebooting the device temporarily solves the issue, but so does force-closing the application.

• 9. Re: An installed OnTimer script could not be found or could not be run
                          TSGal

lednext:

When the users go into hibernation, is the file still open?  Or, is just FileMaker Go open?

How long was FileMaker Go running before the issue occurs?  How long was the iOS device running before rebooting?

Are you opening any other files that call an OnTimer script?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.