1 Reply Latest reply on May 18, 2010 12:42 PM by TSGal

Annoyance: Expression editor 'knows' only 12 tab positions

arnoldkegebein

Summary

Annoyance: Expression editor 'knows' only 12 tab positions

Description of the issue

This is not an actual bug, that creates actual errors in the database. This is more an annoyance than a bug.In at least one case it provoked an user error.At the end, I was not sure, if I should file this under Feature Request. FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 11.0v1 Operating System(s) involved:Mac OS 10.5.8 Detailed description of the issue:The expression editor recognizes only 12 tab positions. Pressing tab after the twelfth position, the line is folded and continues in the next line after the first tab position. Exact steps to reproduce the issue:Open the expression editor (for example from the Data Viewer) and enter "→1→2→3→4→5→6→7→8→9→10→11→12→13" (instead of "→" enter a tab).The "13" will appear in the next line after the first tab position. Expected Result:To see the entered text in the same line. Any workarounds that you have found:None. Remark:I use tabs to indent my function code for better understanding. Breaking the line after twelfth tab position will not crash the database. But I run into a problem, when I used something like … & Substitute( OriginalText; "→"; "\t" ) within the expression. That tab was actual behind the twelfth tab position and therefore the expression was continued in the next line:… & Substitute( OriginalText; "→"; "\t" )Someone saw the line-break and tried to move the two parts into one line: He removed the tab. Unfortunately, this resulted in a faulty function. Surely it was an user error, but the weird tab behavior definitely provoked this.