2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 10:13 AM by ColinH

    Apple's Mail program fails to parse lists of email addresses as exported by Send Mail()

    ColinH

      Summary

      Apple's Mail program fails to parse lists of email addresses as exported by Send Mail()

      Product

      FileMaker Pro

      Version

      12.0v5

      Operating system version

      Mac OSX 10.9.2

      Description of the issue

      Using scripts to generate a list of email addresses to be exported into the BCC field of an email: the list appears to be exported correctly, but Apple's Mail program fails to immediately recognize the commas (it appears to me), and will throw an error on send, apparently mistaking the whole string as a single address. I realize this looks more like an issue with Apple's Mail program than with FM, except (perhaps) for the observations listed below...

      Steps to reproduce the problem

      Generating the string of addresses in a looped script compiling a local variable via a command like

      Set Variable [$EmailList;Value:$EmailList&EmailField&", "]

      Then calling

      Send Mail [Send via E-mail Client; ... BCC: Left($EmailList;Length($EmailList)-2);...]

      I also tried setting $EmailList to a global field and referencing the field in the Send Mail() command, but the outcome was the same.

      Expected result

      Apple's Mail program should recognise $EmailList as a series of valid addresses.

      Actual result

      The string is exported into Mail's BCC window apparently well-formed, comma separated, but does not appear to be parsed as separate addresses, and will throw an error on send. ("...does not appear to be a valid address...")

      Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

      (No error thrown from FileMaker)

      Configuration information

      Other observations:

      1) If I generate the string of addresses to an accessible field in FM, then manually copy and paste the field contents into Mail's BCC field, it recognizes the individual addresses immediately (separating them into Apple's blue oval address containers) whereas when exported via FM's SendMail() script command, the same string is not parsed into valid addresses...

      2) If I try to copy the unrecognized string (the one that SendMail() exports) from the Mail BCC window and paste it back into a text editor (or drag and drop it), the paste stops before the first comma (so I only get the first address) which seems to indicate that the commas themselves are... behaving oddly... I tried this in TextEdit and TextWrangler with the same outcome.

      3) If I place the cursor after one of the commas generated by Send Mail() in Mail's BCC window, delete the comma and type another comma, Mail recognizes the separator at once and parses the preceding address.

      4) If I click in and out of the Mail BCC window, or highlight its contents and click away, Mail progressively recognizes the addresses (after a couple of iterations) and they drop into their blue ovals...

      Workaround

      None. This behaviour has me bamboozled...  I don't understand what is happening!