3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2010 8:02 AM by TSGal

Application 'locks up' while resizing or moving columns

Trex23

Summary

Application 'locks up' while resizing or moving columns

Description of the issue

Hello, I'm using Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and I've encountered a strange bug that occurs sometimes when I try to resize or move a column in the Table View mode.  Essentially the program acts as if my mouse button is always clicked and refuses to "unclick" when trying to move or resize a column.  In other words I'm stuck resizing or moving the column border around and I can't get the program to let me do anything else. I end up having to force quite the application. This has happened a number of times (but not all the time) and I can't discern any particular movement, keystroke, etc that I'm doing to make this happen. Any ideas? Rich

• 1. Re: Application 'locks up' while resizing or moving columns
          philmodjunk

Is this always on the same layout?

Always with the same file?

Can you reproduce this with a brand new file?

also:

How to report product issues to FileMaker

• 2. Re: Application 'locks up' while resizing or moving columns
            Trex23

Hi Phil,

No this also occurs in a brand new file.  Today I figured out that my mouse may be causing this bug.  I use a Logitech MX1100 cordless mouse and the scroll wheel can be pushed to the left and right to scroll a window to the left and right (so the wheel can scroll the page in all four directions).  When I have left clicked a column border to resize a cell and when I try to scroll in any direction with the mouse wheel, the program gets "stuck" and doesn't realize that I've released the left mouse button.  When I don't try to scroll, the problem doesn't happen.  I've tried this using a standard apple mouse, and I can't scroll while left clicked (hence the problem doesn't occur).

In short, it seems to be a specific bug associated with my mouse.  Solution:  don't scroll while resizing or moving a cell.

FileMaker Product(s) involved:

FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 

Operating System(s) involved:

Mac 10.5.8
            Using logitech MX1100 mouse

Detailed description of the issue:

See above and prior post

Exact steps to reproduce the issue:

1.  Create a database

2.  Add several fields

3.  Go to Table view

4. Left click and hold on a column cell border to resize the cell

OR

Left click and hold the column header to move the column

5.  While holding the left click, try to scroll up/down/left/right using mouse wheel

Expected Result:

The window will scroll and then I can release the left click and the cell will be resized or moved.

Actual Result:

The program thinks the left click is being held down (even when its not) and I'm unable to "unclick" resulting in being stuck trying to reset the cell boundry/position until I force quit the program.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:

N/A

Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:

Bug occurs with MX1100 mouse; does NOT occur with Apple standard wired mouse (can't scroll with that mouse while left clicked though)

Any workarounds that you have found:

Don't try to scroll while resizing/moving a cell in Table View.

• 3. Re: Application 'locks up' while resizing or moving columns
              TSGal

Trex23:

Thank you for your posts.

A similar issue has been reported with the Logitech VX Revolution wireless mouse where FileMaker does not recognize the release action of the mouse, causing the mouse to stick to whatever control it is on.

I have attached your post to this issue.  If any additional information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.