3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 9:16 AM by TSGal

Application Conflicts

hagavard

Summary

Application Conflicts

Description of the issue

Filemaker Pro 10.v3OS: XP Prior to a week or so ago FP10.v3 was working perfectly with all other applications on my computer system. Then the following problem manifested itself:  From complete shutdown and then startup, Filemaker as the first application to be opened, opens and and works perfectly in all respects. However, I can't open any other applications: IE, Office, etc. If I close FP, then I can open all other applications, but I can not re-open FP even after all other applications have been closed. From complete shutdown and then startup, all applications open and work perfectly as individual applications but FP will not open in the presence of any other application or after any other application has been opened and then closed. I've run the "recovery" program on the FP collection, but no change in behaviour. I've checked and repaired all drivers, but no change in behaviour. I've downloaded and installed FP 10.v3 but no change in behaviour.  If I transfer the FP collection to my laptop everything works normally; I can have multiple applications open to include FP and all works well. I have reported the problem multiple times via the automated "report this problem to microsoft" error screen, but I don't know if FP gets a copy of these reports.  Any assistance would be appreciated. hagavard 

• 1. Re: Application Conflicts
          TSGal

hagavard:

Thank you for your post.

Since this worked prior to a week ago, something has changed, and finding what changed can be difficult.

Thank you for downloading another copy of FileMaker Pro and reinstalling.  That is the correct first step, even though that didn't work.  Although, it was good to know that it worked successfully on your laptop, as this removed any doubt the download was bad.

On your original machine, this could be a problem with the current user account.  Therefore, create new user account, log into that new user account, launch FileMaker Pro and then try to launch your other programs.  If this works successfully, then your original user account has some conflict somewhere.  If this doesn't work successfully, then you are looking a system wide issue.  I would then reinstall Windows XP from the master CD.

Please keep me posted with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Application Conflicts
            VladZ

I experienced same problem month ago on one of our windows xp workstations. I was not able to fix it. We gave to the user other workstation. Yesterday one of oour users reported about the same issue.Any ideas what might causing the problem?

• 3. Re: Application Conflicts
              TSGal

Vlad Z:

Thank you for your post.

What version of FileMaker Pro are you using?  Do any other applications run when FileMaker is running?  If so, which ones work and which ones fail?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.