2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2012 8:10 PM by philmodjunk

Are there any best practices for solutions?

jacksrmd

Summary

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12 v.03

Operating system version

Windows XP

Description of the issue

After about my 27th iteration of a solution (clone / save as)  I periodically experience CRASHES and have to go back to a previous version.  I've had to do it 3X and have lost countless hours and work with recreation.

Max # of fields in a table?
      Max # of layouts in a solution?
      Max # of scripts in a solution?
      Max file size of a solution?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Are there any best practices for solutions?
          RickWhitelaw

To answer all your "max" questions, the answer is no. If I were you and it's not a total drag I would begin again.

• 2. Re: Are there any best practices for solutions?
            philmodjunk

Odds are that the previous version to which you are reverting after each crash is already damaged, it just hasn't crashed yet.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
            3.           Recover does not detect all problems
            5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
            7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).