5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 11:25 AM by Tandyman

Are there Filemaker pro 10 issues running on XP in View mode?

Tandyman

Summary

Are there Filemaker pro 10 issues running on XP in View mode?

Description of the issue

When i first loaded V10 all worked correctly. However, when I recently open Databases I have limited use of the various commands although I see the records in preview mode but  In View mode I can only see the files in 100% - any other size and the layout is incomplete to view and when I go into find mode I cannot click on a field to open it. Sort command does still work. I have another machine at work which is on Vista and it works fine. I have run the v.3 and re installed 3 time the whole program but this corrected the problem the first time but now makes no difference. I have tried other databases and previous backed up versions and they are the same. I have also run recover and consistency check but no problems found, Any suggestions anybody? Tandyman

• 1. Re: Are there Filemaker pro 10 issues running on XP in View mode?
          TSGal

Tandyman:

Thank you for your post.

I am running FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 on Windows XP (SP3).  I am able to view the records in Browse Mode, Preview Mode, Find Mode, and Layout Mode, and I am able to change the zoom levels up and down without any problem.  Since you mention that you have "limited use of the various commands", and at one time reinstalling "corrected the problem", it sounds like there is something wrong with your installation of FileMaker Pro.  Did you remove the entire program before reinstalling?  Or, did you just continue to reinstall?  If the latter, the reinstallation over the old copy would not remove several files, whereas the removal of the program prior to reinstalling would create all new files.  My thought is that one of those files may not have been overwritten.

If you create a new database table, does the problem still exist?  If not, then it is possible your original database file has become corrupt.  Try running "Recover" on the file.  Although a Recover is not a cure-all, it will try its best to fix the file.  If the recovered file works correctly, then I would advise using a recent backup that did not exhibit this zoom problem.

Do you have access to another machine to test?  If so, try installing on that machine and see if it works properly.  If not, then let me know the exact steps you take to duplicate the problem, and I'll try it here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Are there Filemaker pro 10 issues running on XP in View mode?
            philmodjunk
               Another useful test is to either try creating a simple brand new file to see if shows the same issues or to try recovering your current file. If recovering fixes the issue, then replace your file with an undamaged back up and use it.
            • 3. Re: Are there Filemaker pro 10 issues running on XP in View mode?
              Tandyman

Many thanks for your reply- this is a odd one!

yes i thoguht it was a program fault. I did compleltly remove before I re- installed on all occasions.

I also tried the trial version for free download to see if the version I had on disc was corrupted- still a problem

I have tried recover and also used older back up versions to see in the database I was using was corrupted- made no difference. I have no problem on my Dell at work which use Vista on Filmaker Pro 10

The wierd thing is that i tried just openeing the laptop without using the seperate monitor Dell screen i have- then it worked ok!

Any suggestions? I have tried again tonight with and with out seperate monitor and again the same problem- with monitor restircted access with out monitor just on lap top screen- it works and will let me move over on extended desk top mode.

A strange one indeed!

Tandyman

• 4. Re: Are there Filemaker pro 10 issues running on XP in View mode?
                philmodjunk
                   Perhaps the issue lies with the video card/driver installed.
                • 5. Re: Are there Filemaker pro 10 issues running on XP in View mode?
                  Tandyman

Thanks for your reply- sorry i have not replied sooner. I think you could be right although I am no expert. I have tired various combinations and it is fine with a dual screen and also laptop only. The problem only happens on extended screen, no matter if i make the laptop or the monitor the primary device. I do not have this problem on other applications, only Filemaker.

As i not very familair with memory cards are you able to suggest what i should do? The laptop itself has 30% memory unused.

Almost there I feel so any advicegratefully recieved and then we can close the book on this one!

Tandyman