7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2012 1:59 PM by MichaelWeisenberg

Artifacts (stray characters or graphics) when creating new layouts in Filemaker Pro 12

MichaelWeisenberg

Summary

Artifacts (stray characters or graphics) when creating new layouts in Filemaker Pro 12

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

MAC OSX 7 (Lion)

Description of the issue

I am a new user of Filemaker Pro 12 and I have developed a new database file. When configuring a new layout for my database, I find two aberrations and I am unsure whether to  attribute to user error (my own!) or to a Filemaker Pro bug:

FIrst, I have found in a new layout I created as a listing, some occasional stray characters or graphic figures that appear once I save & exit the layout and enter browse mode. The stray characters or graphic figures (artifacs) come & go and sometimes appear in layout browse mode but do not appear in preview mode (or vice versa). Occasionally, but not often, these stray graphics will also appear in a printed layout. The stray characters most often appear in my layout header and often represent some (but not all) of the text characters I may have previously entered elsewhere in the header as part of a label.

I also find that occasionally the numeric format of a field output does not appear correctly in my layout once in browse mode. For example, I may have formated a numeric field to appear in my layout as a decimal with 0 places, but instead it appears as a %. This only occurs in the body of my layout.  This most often occurs when I have other fields in the layout body also formatted to appear as a percentage, for which they do correctly.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Please see above

Expected result

Expect to not see stray characters or artifacs in layouts I have  created and not to have chosen numeric formats change once layout is saved & exited

Actual result

Please see above

Configuration information

I have attached a screen shot of one recent layout which illustrates the problem. Please note the slight artifac(stray graphic) found in the header for the “Interim Quiz #2” Label. Also note the incorrrect percentage format for the “Total Number of Absences” field found in the layout body. Note that when in layout mode, this field is correctly formatted as a decimal with 0 places as shown in the inspector.

Please let me know whether my observations are caused by user error (my own) rather than a bug in the program. Thanks.

Workaround

Thus far, in most instances described above, I have worked arouind the problem by deleting and then re-applying the errant field (either the text in the header or the numeric field in the body of my layout). In many cases, this seems to alleviate my problem, but it still occasionally occurs.

Screen_Shot_2012-06-04_at_10.09.56_PM.jpg

• 1. Re: Artifacts (stray characters or graphics) when creating new layouts in Filemaker Pro 12
          james_quiggins

Hello Michael Weisenberg:

Thank you for posting.

I can see the stray graphic you describe in the screen shot that is attached but am unable to reproduce. 

Would you be willing to submit a copy of the file for further testing? 

Check your inbox at the top of this page for instructions on how to submit your file.

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.

• 2. Re: Artifacts (stray characters or graphics) when creating new layouts in Filemaker Pro 12
            philmodjunk

I've seen this happen before due to user error. I could be wrong here as this is just a guess, but I've seen a situation where the database was open in [full access] and the user attempted to enter text starting with a capital L. They accidentally pressed ctrl-L instead of shift-L and instead of entering

"Les Johnson" or some such in a text field, they got "es Johnson" entered as layout text directly on the layout. I realize this is Mac, but even the command key is close enough to the shift that this is not completely out of the question as a possible scenario for this...

Personally, I'd prefer it that future versions of FileMaker require that you open a text box on the layout for entering/modifying layout text before typing on the keyboard adds text to the layout, but it's been this way since FileMaker 3 at least...

• 3. Re: Artifacts (stray characters or graphics) when creating new layouts in Filemaker Pro 12
              MichaelWeisenberg

TS Wildcat,

Please note I did e-mail you the file as requested. I would appreciate if you could send me any relevant feedback as to the cause of my issue, particularly if it is user correctable, when available.

Meanwhile, please note some further feedback related to this issue excerpted from my earlier forum posting:

"I checked to see if there was another underlying field in proximity of my existing "Total Number of Absences" field placed in the body of my layout. There is none and there is also no other label in close proximity to the "Interim Quiz #2 Grade" Header label with the stray artifact.  However, when I place my layout in Preview display mode, the artifact in the header label disappears and the Total Number of Absences field in the body of my layout displays properly as a decimal (although another very slight artifact appears in the label for "Student First Name" found in my header).  When I print my layout from Preview mode, the layout prints properly (no artifact in the "Interim Quiz #2 Grade" label in my header and "Total Number Absences" field in the body prints as expected as a decimal); again, however, with a very slight artifact appearing in the "Student First Name" label in my header.

It is because of the differences I see in my layout between browse and preview modes, particularly when printing, that I suspect there may be a program related issue. It is my hope that Filemaker Support will identify the problem in my file, whether program related or not. Thanks."

• 4. Re: Artifacts (stray characters or graphics) when creating new layouts in Filemaker Pro 12
                james_quiggins

Thank you for posting.

I was able to track down what was causing the stray S to appear in the header. These are the steps I followed to resolve the issue:

1. Launch the file then go into layout mode.

2. Select everything in the body section of the layout. ( Click and hold from left to right to select all objects inside the body ) 

3. Go to the inspector. On the position tab you'll see a section called "Autosizing" you'll want to anchor these objects to the top and left. I've attached a screen shot of the setting I choose to remove the stray charter in the header.

That's it. You shouldn't see any more stray charters. If you have any issues following my directions let me know. 

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.

• 5. Re: Artifacts (stray characters or graphics) when creating new layouts in Filemaker Pro 12
                  MichaelWeisenberg

TSWildcat,

Thanks for your help. Your suggestion resolved my issues. However, I remain somewhat puzzled. Somehow, before I heard from you I resolved my issue by changing some of my relationships, changing them back & then resaving my file. I also attempted to, as you suggested, select all my body fields although I do  not recall using the autosize option. I'm puzzled how using your fix resolved the misformat of my numeric data (decimal to percentage) in my Total Number Absences field and how the fix to body fields fixed my header. I would appreciate an explanation so I do not repeat my mistake in the future! Thanks again for your suggested fix.

Michael

• 6. Re: Artifacts (stray characters or graphics) when creating new layouts in Filemaker Pro 12
                    james_quiggins

Thank you for posting. 

I can't explain exactly why it happens but I can explain how I isolated it. If you grab the corner of your solution and move it you would notice at a certain point it would not be distorted anymore. Because it was distorting while resizing the window I was able to isolate the issue to autosizing. 

Hope that helps.

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.

• 7. Re: Artifacts (stray characters or graphics) when creating new layouts in Filemaker Pro 12
                      MichaelWeisenberg

TSwildcat,

Thanks for your assistance. Please let me know if a cause for my issue is ever determined.

Michael