Summary

Attempting to import a file crashes filemaker

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Microsoft server 2008 r2

Description of the issue

When working in filemaker there has been a button setup to help import a file into our system. I click the import button and make it through several steps but when I encounter a setfield that should open a dialog box to select the file I would like to import filemaker crashes with no error message. This occurs upwards of 10 times before it works once and then the problem restarts. No one else in the company encounters this problem on a regular basis maybe once a month. Our company runs filemaker off a server which everyone has access too instead of purely running a copy on the desktop. Does anyone know why this would occur only for me.

Steps to reproduce the problem

click import
      the button then
      sets the layout number
      checks if a category = deleted
      sets a global field to ""
      runs an import script which contains multiple if statments to set another global variable.
      next an external script is run to create a new record in the database being referenced and known data fields set
      A sort is called based upon date followed by a pause script
      then this is where the dialog box is encountered and the program crashes

Expected result

open a dialog box to select the file to be imported

Actual result

filemaker crashes

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no text appears

Workaround

continue running the script till it operates properly

• 1. Re: Attempting to import a file crashes filemaker
          philmodjunk

Our company runs filemaker off a server which everyone has access too instead of purely running a copy on the desktop.

Does this mean that the file has been placed in a shared directory and you open it by going to that shared directory to open the database file instead of using Open Remote to access the database while it is hosted with FileMaker Pro or Filemaker Server?

If so, there is a good chance that your database is damaged. Filemaker strongly recommends against file sharing as a way to share a FileMaker database due that risk of file corruption.

• 2. Re: Attempting to import a file crashes filemaker
            MichaelRutland

No it is not shared we all have our own login to the server each with its own desktop installed version I was more making reference to the storage of the files not the filemaker program itself

• 3. Re: Attempting to import a file crashes filemaker
              philmodjunk

I will note that you are using a very old version of FileMaker. It's kinda like taking a Model T out on a Germain auto-bahn...wink

Yet that shouldn't produce crashes if you have been successful in using FileMaker 6 on this platform in the past and just recently started getting crashes.

I still suspect that your file may be damaged. Recover a copy of the file and see if the recovered copy has the same problems.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
              3.           Recover does not detect all problems
              5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 4. Re: Attempting to import a file crashes filemaker
                MichaelRutland

I do not think it is a problem with a file since I can not even select a file. The crash occurs when filemaker tries to call the dialog to select the file.

• 5. Re: Attempting to import a file crashes filemaker
                  philmodjunk

The file that I am referring to is your filemaker database file into which you are attempting to import data.

If you are using FileMaker server, you'll have to take the file down off the server before you can produce a recovered copy of the file.