Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

13.0.4 iPad and iPhone

Operating system version

iOS 7.1.2

Description of the issue

Create a new record on iDevice using FileMaker Go.  Click in a Container field and choose the 'Audio' option.  Record audio.  The first record works, subsequent records in the same session that are created will then not record audio.  They do appear to work and place a file in the container, however the file is only 28 byte large and has no data.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a brand new FM 13 file with a container field (default setting, no external storage).
      Copy file to iPhone or iPad (same issue with either).
      Open file and create a new record.
      Click in container field and choose Audio option.
      Record some audio.
      At this point you can either commit the record or just click the new record button
      Repeat several times.
      The only audio file that has worked is the first one.

Expected result

Should record audio correctly on each record.

Actual result

Only records audio for first record and create a blank file thereafter.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

The only error that shows is when you try and play back any recordings after the first one. In which case you just get the file name and size on the screen (not an actual error message)

Workaround

If you play the audio after you've recorded it and then record again it seems to work.

photo_1.PNG

• 1. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
          TSGal

Paul De Hallë:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done.

1. Using FileMaker Pro 13.0v3, I created a table with a Container field.   I formatted the Container field for Interactive content.

2. I turned on Network Sharing and made the file available over the network.

3. I launched FileMaker Go 13.0v4, accessed the file via Host.

4. I added a new record, and recorded a few words.

5. I added another record, and recorded some more words.

6. I repeated for ten records.  All records were then playable when revisited.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
            PauldeHalle

Hi

I've just repeated the exact steps you mentioned, with the exact versions of software as you and mine only works for the first record (same error as before).  The only think I can think of that is different is my versions of FileMaker Pro and Go are UK British.

I can record exactly what is happening on video if it will help.

Regards

Paul

• 3. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
              TSGal

Paul De Halle:

Does this occur with all files or just one file?

Do you have any other applications open?  If so, temporarily close all applications, launch FileMaker Go, access the file and try again.

If the issue still occurs, reboot the iPad, launch FileMaker Go, access the file and try again.

In FileMaker Pro, create a new file with one Container field.  Format the field for Interactive content.  Share the file, access the file via FileMaker Go, and try again.

Continue to keep me updated.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
                PauldeHalle

Hi

This occurs with every single file, either an existing one or a brand new file just created.

I have quit every other app and restarted my phone but same issue.

I have tested this from several machines creating the file and 3 different iPhones and 3 different iPads - same problem every time.

I have created a new file and added the interactive container as suggested - same problem.

Paul

• 5. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
                  TSGal

Paul de Hallé:

I have an iPad 3 that has iOS 7.1.2 installed, and my General International Region Format setting is United Kingdom.  (Language English).  I launch FileMaker Go 13.0v4, tap "Device", tap (built-in sample file) "Assets", tap one of the records to bring me to detail view with the Container field taking up half the screen, tap the plus sign to add a record, and record audio into the Container field.  I do this 10 times.  I then go back and revisit the 10 recordings one by one to make sure the audio was recorded and saved.

I'm not sure what else to try here.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
                    PauldeHalle

Hi

We've done some more extensive testing back in the office on several devices.  If we run the file on iOS 7.1.2 the error occurs every time, no matter what device cerated on.  However if we run the same database (either locally or hosted) to a device running 7.1.1 the bug goes away and the database works as normal.  Not only can we re-create this every time on our devices but so can our client.  This is no stopping them using FM Go fully.

Let m know if you need any further info.

Regards

Paul de Halle
                         CEO, Linear Blue
                         FileMaker Platinum Partner

• 7. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
                      TSGal

Paul de Hallé:

I rechecked my iPad, and I have iOS 7.1.2 installed, and I still have the iPad set up for United Kingdom.  Since I am unable to replicate the issue, I would like to see your database file so I can try it here and determine what is causing the issue.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
                        TSGal

Paul de Hallé:

I received your file.  Thank you.

Although I see your entries, I am still unable to replicate the issue.  I created ten records and recorded ten audio files, and I'm able to revisit them all and play them.  I know that doesn't help you, but below are two screen shots of my General iPad settings.  Please let me know what options you have so I can try to replicate the issue here.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
                          PauldeHalle

Hi

My settings are identical.  The only difference is we're using the latest iPad Airs and iPhone 5s.  Do you have either of those devices you can try?  As we can replicate this every time on many devices - if you can't how do we move forward?

Regards

Paul

• 10. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
                            TSGal

Paul de Hallé:

I don't have an iPad Air immediately available to me, but I do have an iPhone 5s, and I am able to replicate the issue under iOS 7.1.2.  The issue occurs regardless of the country setting (United States or United Kingdom).  I have forwarded this information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
                              TSGal

Paul de Hallé:

I have confirmed the issue also occurs on an iPad Air with iOS 7.1.2.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
                                PauldeHalle

Hi

Wish it was just a minor issue with my devices, but kinda glad you've managed to replicate and have passed to development and testing :-)

Thanks

Paul

• 13. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
                                  philmodjunk
                                  An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.
                                  • 14. Re: Audio not recording into a container field in FM Go
                                    TSGal

Paul de Hallé:

Testing has been able to replicate the issue on certain devices, and since we are using the iOS programming interface to record audio, we have alerted Apple to the issue.  I'll continue to keep you updated.

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next