Summary

Authentication Order Reversed

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Mac 10.9

Description of the issue

Accounts may be authentication from bottom to top instead of from top to bottom.  This occurs when you switch to order account by name and reverse the sorting order, and then switch back to view accounts by authentication order.  The reversed sorting order seems to stick, even though the list by authentication order does not have any sorting options, and the accounts are authenticated from bottom to top instead of from top to bottom.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Switch account list to view by account name
      2. Change sort order to largest to smallest by Account name
      3. Switch back to view by Authentication Order
      4. Click OK and close the security window

Expected result

Accounts should be authenticated from top to bottom

Actual result

Accounts are authenticated in reverse order, from bottom to top.

Workaround

Switch back to view by account name and change the sorting order, then change back to view by authentication order.

• 1. Re: Authentication Order Reversed

Smef:

Thank you for the post.

I am able to replicate with FileMaker Server 13 on Windows or Mac OS X. 

I am able to change the account authentication order by moving an account up or down the list with the handle by the account name. Clicking "Account" to change the sort order of the accounts does not change the order of authentication. 

Additionally, I submitted a report to Testing and Development for review.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Authentication Order Reversed
            philmodjunk

This is not an area with which I have much familiarity, please review and let me know if I need to clarify or correct anything in the Known Bugs List entry.

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 3. Re: Authentication Order Reversed

@All:

Thank you for the posts.

Testing confirmed and Development says that the sorting of the columns was never meant to be used to change the order of account authentication. 

Since the dialog in the window currently reads, "Authentication occurs in the order that the accounts appear in this list," I have additionally asked for this to be forwarded to our Documentation department to review the wording to be more clear.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Authentication Order Reversed
                philmodjunk

So is there an actual bug in the software or only confusion, via confusing documentation, as to expected results?

• 5. Re: Authentication Order Reversed

@PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the reply.

Development is still in discussion to determine the next course of action. Changing the sort order of the accounts was never intended to change the authentication order, so likely not a bug but incorrectly documented behavior. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Authentication Order Reversed
                    philmodjunk

Changing the sort order of the accounts was never intended to change the authentication order,

Thus, we see a change in display that has no effect on the actual authentication order?

• 7. Re: Authentication Order Reversed
                      Smef

The authentication order DOES change, and a user that might have authenticated into group A now gets authenticated into group B because the authentication order is reversed.

• 8. Re: Authentication Order Reversed
                        BrynBehrenshausen

Hi David, I just experienced the same issue after pulling out my hair trying to figure out why my authentication wasn't working. Finally took to Google and found your post. I had just created a brand new file in FM16 Adv (Mac), uploaded to my server, added OD authentication groups, and was having problems. I changed the sort to be by account name, saw that it was reversed order, changed back to Ascending order, changed the sort back to Authentication order, re-did the authentication order, and bam, it's working now. Clearly there's still a problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful