Authentication works differently in FM 9 vs 10 or 11

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FM9, 10, 11

Operating system version

Macintosh, OS 10.6.4 and others

Description of the issue

I have a solution which creates call report records for specific clients in a "People" database. The call report records are stored in a separate file. Both files have the same user login and password combinations for many users. However, the access priv are different for different users in both files.

The People file displays a portal that allows the creation of new records (via a script) in the related file. When a new record is created, a series of fields are populated, including date, time, current priv & current account name of the user, date, time, client ID, etc.

All of this works fine. The problems occur later, when 3 calculated fields, one for OK to View, OK to Edit and OK to delete are used to allow certain operations based on the comparison of the login priv for each user in both files.  If the login and that user's priv are different than those stored in the related file, users may not be able to edit, view or delete a record.

For example, a record may be marked complete, and users with a particular login (like the login that created it) are not supposed to be able to edit it, if the OK to edit is "NO". There are many case statements that determine the status of the fields used in the comparisons.  Fields seem to display properly in the related file.  This works fine in FM9 where the contents of the fields are recogized correctly by priv. settings, but not in 10 or 11.

Similar problems occur with the view and edit, even though the fields are calculating correctly. For example the calculated field for edit may say "no" for the logged in user, but even though the user's edit priv are set to only be available when the field says "yes". The same thing happens with other fields

As I said, the processes work fine in FMPro 9, but not 10 or 11.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or are there any suggestions on how to work around it?

Bill Pederson
      info@pilot-tech.com
      Pilot Technologies, Inc.
      Eden Prairie MN

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open the file in FM 9, everything works as expected with the appropriate limitations on viewing, editing or deleting.

Open the same file, using the same account login and pw, but using FMPro 10 or 11 and the previous restrictions present in version 9 don't work.  Users can edit, view or delete any record, anytime.

Expected result

I expected the restrictions which worked in FM9 to be exactly the same in 10 and 11.

Actual result

Restrictions don't work in 10 or 11.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No messages.

Configuration information

Mac OS version 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6, with FMPro 9, 10, 11

Workaround

None so far.

• 1. Re: Authentication works differently in FM 9 vs 10 or 11
          TSGal

pilottech:

Thank you for your post.

Without seeing the file or calculations, it is difficult to determine what is causing the problem.  I would like to see a copy of the file.  Please see your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Authentication works differently in FM 9 vs 10 or 11
            Pilottech

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  My client does not want to release the DB in it's complete form, nor grant access to the live DB via the net. 

So, I've been OK'd to create a sample of the DB and the related table to show the problem.  I expect to do that over the next 48 hours or so.  When it's complete, I'll email you the files and an over view of the problem.

Bill Pederson

612-382-5730

• 3. Re: Authentication works differently in FM 9 vs 10 or 11
              TSGal

pilottech:

I received your files.  Thank you.

When I see the privileges for Alyssag in the DCR file, there is nothing there to stop that user from seeing Confidential records.  Your calculations are OK to View and OK to Edit set to "Yes".  In all three records, those values are "Yes".  I also don't see any privilege settings equal to the name of the user so that user can see any record regardless of the user account.

Check your Inbox at the top of this page for additional non-related information.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Authentication works differently in FM 9 vs 10 or 11
                Pilottech

Have you compared the performance of the files in FMPro 9 vs 10/11?

They don't behave the same in the edit and delete areas either.

You cannot see the problem unless you do the comparison.

OK to view field should be no if a record is confidential and it's not being viewed by the creator, benjiek, or bill.

I'm really looking for a reason why FMPro 10 and 11 don't allow the same actions as FMPro 9

Bill Pederson

• 5. Re: Authentication works differently in FM 9 vs 10 or 11
                  Pilottech

Tsgal, can you test these files on FMPro 9 and then on 11 to see the differences, and get back to me?

• 6. Re: Authentication works differently in FM 9 vs 10 or 11
                    TSGal

pilottech:

Yes, I see the difference between FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 11.  I see the Relationship is based upon FamilyID = FamilyID, and the Account has nothing to do with the FamilyID field.  I don't see what is set in FileMaker Pro 9 to not see all records.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Authentication works differently in FM 9 vs 10 or 11
                      TSGal

pilottech:

I don't see how this is working in FileMaker Pro 9.  The relationship is based upon FamilyID without any regards to the user name.  I also don't see how Confidential is being limited in FileMaker Pro 9.  There is nothing in the Account Privileges that limits this.  To make this work in FileMaker Pro 11, you'll have to modify the Relationship to include another set of fields based on User Account.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Authentication works differently in FM 9 vs 10 or 11
                        TSGal

pilottech:

I received your latest email.

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I did try this in both FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 11.  I do see the difference.  Again, I don't see how the privileges are set to affect the portal from filtering the Confidential records.  Where do you have this set in the Access Privileges?  Another of our Technical Support agents is also looking at this file.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.