1 2 3 Previous Next 32 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 8:07 AM by FileKraft

Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take

Chris Irvine

Summary

Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

confirmed in v12 and v13 up through 13.0.3

Operating system version

Mac (exhibited on multiple OS versions)

Description of the issue

File cannot be permanently authorized to access other files.

Very similar to issue http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/dc3d510401 However, I never have multiple files with the same name and I still experience this problem.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a multi-file solution. I've always seen this on solutions with 4 or more files.

Turn on the feature "Require full access privileges to use references to this file" on all of the solution's files.

As necessary, via the automatic prompts, agree to authorize access from one file to another as you are developing on the solution.

Later the attempts to open and use the files still complain about access needing authorization.

This clear bug is in the Security panel. When trying to "Authorize..." you receive an error that keeps you from resolving the problem.

Expected result

Wither via agreeing to automatic prompts or manually authorizing one file to access another, access should be granted and saved into the file.

Actual result

[Full Access] users have to approve access every time they try to use the combination of files.

Non-[Full Access] users can't access referenced files even though attempts have been made to authorize them.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"FileA.fmp12" is already authorized to open the protected file "FileB.fmp12"

This message appears over the top of the Security panel which clearly DOES NOT show that FileA.fmp12 if the list of authorized files.

• 1. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
          TSGal

Chris Irvine:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created File1.fmp12 with two fields: ID (Number) and Name (Text).

2. I created File2.fmp12 with two fields: ID (Number) and City (Text).

3. In File1.fmp12, I created a relationship into File2.fmp12 based on ID = ID.

4. In File1.fmp12, I went into Manage -> Security, clicked on the Admin [Full Access] account, clicked the File Access tab, checked the option "Require full access privileges to use references to this file", and added File2.fmp12.  I click OK, and the dialog box says "One or more of the accounts that have Full Access privileges do not have passwords.  This is a security risk.  Do you want to allow this?".  I click Allow and enter Admin/no password.

5. In File2.fmp12, I went into Manage ->Security, clicked on the Admin [Full Access] account, clicked the File Access tab, and after checking the option "Require full access privileges to use references to this file", I get another dialog box saying "The file "File1.fmp12" has references to this protected file.  Those references will need to be authorized.  Do you want to authorize now?"  I click "Yes", and "File1" now appears in the list of Files.  I click OK, and the dialog box says "One or more of the accounts that have Full Access privileges do not have passwords.  This is a security risk.  Do you want to allow this?".  I click Allow and enter Admin/no password.

6. I then close both files, and then open File1.fmp12 again, and File2.fmp12 opens as hidden.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
            davidhamannmedia

(I know it's an old post, but the problem seems to persist)

I had the same problem with FileMaker 15.0.1 and could solve it by removing all authorized files and then setting them manually one by one again. It remains unclear what causes/caused the behavior.

• 3. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
              CamelCase_data

Hi davidhamannmedia. I also have recurring cases where the authorization of files references seems not to take. Since, as you point out, there is an easy enough workaround, I haven't taken the time to properly identify the circumstances in which it occurs to be sure where there's an actual issue, or just a misunderstanding on my part of how this works. I'm guessing you haven't either...

Do you know if your files were created in FM15 or some earlier version? Are some files duplicates of others? Do you see differences running locally vs hosted, and from the client vs in server-side scripting?

• 4. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
                davidhamannmedia

David Wikström wrote:

Do you know if your files were created in FM15 or some earlier version? Are some files duplicates of others? Do you see differences running locally vs hosted, and from the client vs in server-side scripting?

The files were created with FM13. It seems to only affect one file of the multi-file solution though. As far as I can tell it also only affects the reference from one file to another (for all other references to the same file the authorization works fine). It is this file which previously reported: "FileA.fmp12" is already authorized to open the protected file "FileB.fmp12" (without showing up in the list).

I didn't create the files myself. So, unfortunately, I cannot answer your question about duplication.

So far I've only had the issues when running in a hosted environment.

The workaround I posted yesterday evening did (strangely) only work for a few hours. This morning the problem appeared again when another user (also Full Access) logged in. There was no dialog like "do you want to authorize", it just showed references as missing.

• 5. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
                  CamelCase_data

And do you know if "FileA.fmp12" is a copy of a file that had been authorized? When I seen this, I know that at least in one case or two, I had multiple secondary files that were originally created by duplicating an existing file. E.g., I'd duplicate a "data" file to create a separate "Binary data" file.

• 6. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
                    davidhamannmedia

Good question! Duplication could indeed be an issue for some of the cases (probably not mine though).

In the help is mentioned:

[...] if you duplicate or clone a protected file, each file will also have the same ID. If you use both files in the same multifile solution, you must reset the ID in one of the files so that each file has a unique ID. To reset the protected file’s unique ID, click Reset All, then click Yes. After resetting, you will need to reauthorize all files that are authorized to access the protected file and any protected files that file was authorized to access.

However, I can say for sure that none of the files were duplicated/cloned while having the protection turned on and am being told by the creator of the files that all of them were created from scratch.

Will investigate more tomorrow. If you find any clues in the meantime, keep me updated :-)

• 7. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
                      davidhamannmedia

I continue having these issues (with duplicated files and with non-duplicated files). Today with a totally different system (this time converted files, last time new fmp12 ones).

Authorization prompts are popping up whenever I open the file with Full Access again. The file being accessed does not (really) store the authorization. When trying to do a manual authorization I'm getting the "is already authorized" message again although the file is not shown in the list of authorized files. Doing a complete reset and then manually authorizing the files again does not solve the issue (even when executed offline/locally).

(This is with client/server 15.0.2)

• 8. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
                        CamelCase_data

davidhamannmedia - just for clarity, do you get the prompt to authorize only when files are hosted, or also when you open the files locally?

I've never seen the "is already authorized" for files not listed as you describe it. It would be interesting to see what the AuthFileCatalog in the DDR contains when this happens (and in general, when these authorization errors happen).

• 9. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
                          davidhamannmedia

No difference hosted vs. local.

The AuthFileCatalog contains the entries that are also visible in the File Access tab UI. It does not contain other entries that must be there (the ones for which the message "already authorized" appears are neither in the UI nor in the DDR).

When you add entries the list in the UI and the DDR changes but then omits others. If I wouldn't know better I would think the file is corrupted. But it's unlikely that we are all working with corrupted files each with a different history :-) (who knows...?)

I also ran a recovery and inspected the recover.log – nothing special pops out.

• 10. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
                            CamelCase_data

Intriguing... It would really be nice if someone at FileMaker Inc could have a look at files exhibiting this issue.

I haven't had it myself in a little while, so I don't have easy access to a set of files for checking this - I didn't think of checking the DDR myself at the time.

Did you compare the Inbound and Outbound sections of AuthFileCatalog in the DDR of the source and target files?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
                              TSGal

davidhamannmedia:

You mention that this issue only occurs when running in a hosted environment.

Are all files being hosted?  Or, are some files local?  If all files are hosted, are they all referenced by IP Address or by "file:"?  If any files are referenced by IP Address, change them to "file:".

Do you have multiple windows open that represent the same table?

If you follow my steps from my response two years ago, are you able to reproduce the issue?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
                                davidhamannmedia

I'm not able to reproduce the issue with new files (following your steps).

I experienced the issue with all hosted files (FileA needs access to FileB and both are on the same server, references via "file:") and with a local file trying to access a hosted file. I also tried to reset all authorizations and then authorize all files with everything being local / server shut down. When I hosted the files again, the problem occurred again – sometimes only after a while (sorry that I cannot make a more precise statement here as I'm not sure what causes it to "forget" the authorizations and when that event would happen).

Re: Multiple Windows: Only one window is open and the other file is accessed via a Perform Script step. So no multiple windows / multiple windows with same table representations.

I do not know if the issue would still occur if one would continue to work locally with all of the files since I've never had that use case.

For the next time I will try to note down the exact steps I take.

• 13. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
                                  davidhamannmedia

Ok, I've set it up with my files again. Here are the steps I've executed (everything locally, offline):

1.) Open the file to be accessed (let's call it File A). This is the only file that is open (FileMaker was started by double-clicking this file)

2.) Open Security -> File Access -> Reset All

3.) Turn authorization completely off (Checkbox "Require full access privileges to use references to this file" to unchecked)

4.) Click OK to close the Security setup, enter credentials to save

5.) Open Security -> File Access -> Turn authorization on

6.) Authorize two files by clicking "Authorize..." (let's call them File B and File C; each file is authorized individually, so the "Authorize…" is clicked two times.)

7.) Click OK to close the Security setup, enter credentials to save

8.) Close the file

9.) Open the file again

10.) Open Security -> File Access

After step 10, only File B is visible in the list of authorized files. File C is missing. Trying to authorize File C again brings up the dialog mentioned by Chris above ("[…] is already authorized […]").

The DDR I created afterwards again only shows the files visible in the UI (so only File B, but not File C).

And here comes the strange part: I've opened File A on the server again and, at least for the moment, File B AND File C can access File A without problems. File C is still not visible in the list of authorized files in File A but nevertheless can access it.

The end result, at the moment, is the desired one, however with incomplete data in the UI. Let's see if the behavior sticks or changes again.

• 14. Re: Authorizing access to reference a file doesn't take
                                    CamelCase_data

davidhamannmedia - do any of the files have an account entered in File Options > Open > Log in using? Is "Allow keychain" checked or unchecked? Do all files have full access accounts with identical username/password?

Also, did you check the DDR for each file? File A's DDR should normally have OutboundAuthorization for Files B and C, whereas Files B and C should have InboundAuthorization for File A. Just to double-check; my guess is that this isn't getting saved at all, but one could perhaps also imagine that some kind of mismatch between the OutboundAuthorization and InboundAuthorization could cause problems.

1 2 3 Previous Next