Summary

Auto Resizing a Portal

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7 Professional

Description of the issue

In Filemaker 11 and before, when you autosize a portal, it adds additional rows as the window gets bigger. In FMP 12, it seems to keep the same amount of rows, but just makes them bigger.

Does that make sense?

Anyway around it?

Jim Toland

Steps to reproduce the problem

Assign all sides to the autosizing in Inspector to a portal.  That is, in a small window the portal may show only 3 rows, and if you make that window bigger, the portal would show maybe 8 rows, in FMP 11. But in FMP 12 it still only shows 3 rows no matter how big the wondow gets, but each of the 3 portal rows are just bigger in size.

Expected result

In Filemaker 11 and before, when you autosize a portal, it adds additional rows as the window gets bigger.

Actual result

But in FMP 12 it still only shows 3 rows no matter how big the wondow gets, but each of the 3 portal rows are just bigger in size.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Workaround

None Found

AutoSizing.gif

• 1. Re: Auto Resizing a Portal
          philmodjunk

Just ran a quick test using Windows Xp and FMP 12 and can't reproduce what you report here.

I put a portal with no scroll bar on a layout and sized the layout to be just larger than the portal.

Selected all 4 anchors.

WHen I resize the window the number of portal rows increases and decreases as before.

Besides using XP, did I do anything different from your tests?

• 2. Re: Auto Resizing a Portal
            james_quiggins

Hello James Toland:

Thank you for posting.

I am also unable to reproduce on Windows 7 Pro and FileMaker Pro 12. Are your fields or objects inside the portal also set to autosize on all edges? If so, only anchor them to the top. 

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.

• 3. Re: Auto Resizing a Portal
              jctoland

OK. I think I figured it out.  If you put a field in that portal and you autosize all four sides of the field, along with the portal, then it does not work.  But if I remove all autosizing from the fields, and only autoresize the portal, then I see that yes it does work.  In FMP 11 it seems like we would select all the portal and fields and autosize them all and the rows still increased.  So, maybe this is just a training on my part. 

Thanks so much for your quick response.  I appreciate it.

Jim Toland

• 4. Re: Auto Resizing a Portal
                jctoland

Sorry..  TSwildcat.  I did not see your reply before I sent mine.  Yes, you were correct.  The fields were throwing it off.  Thanks again,

Jim