auto sort makes my data base uneditable

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

v10

Operating system version

Lion

Description of the issue

I am still using v9 even though I bought 10 and 11.  It is because with the way I use the data base I can't have it auto sort every time I change a record.  I have to change several - maybe over 100, and then hit sort or everything scatters to the four winds.  Is there an option that would let it wrk like v9?

• 1. Re: auto sort makes my data base uneditable
          philmodjunk

Many of us have complained over that fact that we cannot simply disable auto-sort by setting a FileMaker property to disable it after an initial sort of the records.

There is a trick I learned here from ULearnIT that can serve as a work around with a bit of careful design work.

If you perform a script that stops with an indefinite pause, you can edit the records, but they will not resort as long as the script remains paused. Thus you can kick off a script that sorts your records and then it pauses to disable the auto-sort. Buttons on this layout will need to terminate this paused script by using Halt Script as a final script step or the halt or resume options in button setup.