7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2009 1:01 PM by philmodjunk

Avery Labels

DavidAP

Summary

Avery Labels

Description of the issue

Regardless of what Avery label I select, the label height is given as 1". I use Avery 8160 which are 3 across by 7 down, i.e. 1.5" high. I am forced to use custom size which is an absolute pain to get right.

• 1. Re: Avery Labels
          philmodjunk

David, I have a set of 8160 avery labels right here in my desk drawer. They are 1" high and fit 3 x 10 on a sheet just like filemaker's layout wizard creates.

Any chance you have some labels that aren't really 8160 labels?

• 2. Re: Avery Labels
            TSGal

DavidAP:

Thank you for your post.

Performing a web search on "Avery 8160" shows 1 inch by 2-5/8 inches.  I do not see 1.5" height for Avery 8160.

Regardless, go the label layout, pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  Pull down the View menu again and select "Object Info".  This displays a box with six different measurements.  If you click on the "Body", you will see the bottom measurement in the "Object Info" box display "1.000".  Change this to "1.500" and tab.  The body will now increase to 1.5 inches in height.

If I select Avery 8162, the height is 1.333 inches.  If I select Avery 8167, the height is 0.5 inches.

If you are getting different label heights, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Avery Labels
              DavidAP
                 Thanks for putting me right. I have now found that the size that I want is Avery 7160 - which I do not recall ever using under Access. Unfortunately it does not appear in the Filemaker lable list. However, I have found all the measurements which I need to set up a custom labelm from my legacy Access label reports. I think that this closes the thread.
              • 4. Re: Avery Labels
                sawdustman

Although most avery labels I use are already in FM 10 I can't find Avery 2160 mini labels. I know the label size but am having trouble setting up margins etc to print correctly. Anybody taken the time to set this one up already??

Thanks in advance 

• 5. Re: Avery Labels
                  TSGal

Sawdustman:

Thank you for your post.

From what I understand, the Avery 2160 has eight labels per sheet, 1 x 2-5/8 each label.  Is that correct?

How much space is there between each label?  How much top margin is there?  bottom margin?  left and right margins?  These are all important.

When creating the label, select "Custom measurements" and enter 1 label across the page, 2.625 width, 1.000 height (unless there is a gap between labels), and then adjust the page margins.

Once set up, test it out.  You can always go back into Layout Mode and adjust the Body, Footer, Header, etc. to the desired dimensions using "Object Info" under the View menu.

If you need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Avery Labels
                    DavidAP

I started this thread and thought that the initial response from Filemaker resolved the issue. However, I have since found that simply entering all the measurements for the labels that I use is not enough. Filemaker does not adhere to them and a lot of tweaking is necessary, which gets very tedious. I have given up and now export the data to Excel and then use Word to create my labels. Word is aware of metric label sheets and caters for 7160, which I use.

David Pears

• 7. Re: Avery Labels
                      philmodjunk

I've had pretty good success with Label layouts as long as I kept several issues in mind:

1. Not all printers can print the same layout flawlessly. I've found this usually happens when the bottom margin of the layout is smaller than the minimum possible bottom margin for a given printer--in that case, the bottom row of labels may get skipped unless I tweak my layout object dimensions.
                      2. PDF's of label layouts will not print correctly unless I choose the correct Acrobat page scaling option. (You don't want to use "shrink to fit".)