Backed up file has corrupt table

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12v4

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

opened file off backup, one table shows ? in fields for all of one table. live file on server is fine, all 7 previous daily and 4 weekly backups show ? when opened. when i recover file the table is fine and nothing is logged as wrong in the recover log.

Steps to reproduce the problem

open file from backup directory, view damaged table

Expected result

data should show

Actual result

data shows with ?

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Workaround

none

Screen_Shot_2013-04-22_at_2.21.41_PM.png

• 1. Re: Backed up file has corrupt table
          philmodjunk

Sounds like this issue:

For More Information see:     Phantom Record, damaged file message, Recover can't detect a problem

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

That's consistent with your recover results. Recover rebuilds all field indexes without attempting to analyze them for problems. And rebuilding the indexes usually corrects this issue.

It's possible to use advanced recover techniques to only rebuild the indexes and not make any other changes to your file.

• 2. Re: Backed up file has corrupt table
            Markus Schneider

what happens when You do a 'Find' in one of the fields? Happened here as well, brand new FM12 database, hosted on FMS -> backup copied from the backup folder, then question marks every where (normal backup, not the incemental new type). Never had this before. Hosted DB without any problems, never crashed, never repaired.

Seems to be a different issue, 

• 3. Re: Backed up file has corrupt table
              User29172

I just tried a "find" on it now and it shows the data. When I close and re-open it's working as expected.

Way odd.

• 4. Re: Backed up file has corrupt table
                philmodjunk

I wonder if sorting records would also have made the question marks go away.

I'm speculating here, but one of the indexing options for a field is: "none: turn indexing on as needed". So performig a find can change the indexing for a field and so can sorting records...Either might be just enough of a "nudge" to the system to correct the issue and cause the data to display properly.

• 5. Re: Backed up file has corrupt table
                  User29172

Sorting also fixed the issue. 

Again, the server hosted file was fine. Using the local backup file was not. Something hosed somewhere, be it client or server.

• 6. Re: Backed up file has corrupt table
                    Markus Schneider

can some kind soul from FMI chime in here? Since -at least here- the db-file was FM12 only and hosted on FMS, I'm afraid that there might be a bug, somewhere...

the version on the FMS closes and reopens frequenty (backups) - and there, everything is (seems to be) ok

thanks!

• 7. Re: Backed up file has corrupt table

andyknas:

Thank you for the post.

Have you run recover on the file to check for damage?

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
                           2. Recover does not detect all problems
                           3. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                           4. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

What to do when your file is corrupt (Answer ID 5421).

If you are able to replicate this behavior outside of the current database file, using a new database file built in FileMaker Pro 12 or one of the starter solutions, please let me know.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.