Summary

Background color fill issue

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

We recently upgraded to FM Pro 13 from FM Pro 11.  We are now experiencing an issue with our background fill colors in 13.  In FM11 when we had a sub-summary with columns and filled the section it would not fill all the way across into the next column.  When we use the background fill it no longer stops at the next column like it did in FM11.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Please see screenshot for more information.  The top left screenshot is FM11 Layout, top right is FM11 Preview, bottom right is FM13 layout, and bottom right is FM13 Preview.  Thanks for your help.

Kendall

Steps to reproduce the problem

In layout mode, filling a sub-summary section with a desired color.  Having multiple columns in the layout.

Expected result

The fill color is displayed in the sub-summary area but does not show in the next column.

Actual result

Color is filled all across the page.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error is shown.

Workaround

We can put a colored box in the area instead of using the fill option but this is a little more tedious.

FM11_versus_FM13.png

• 1. Re: Background color fill issue
          TSGal

Kendall Bloomfield:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Pro 13.0v2 under Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10l.9.2.  The Fill color of the Sub-Summary ends at the end of the column and does not proceed across the other columns.

If you create a new layout with the same settings, does the issue still occur?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in replicating this issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Background color fill issue
            klbloomfield

Thank you for your response.  We created a new database with a new layout.  We found that if you select the Classic Theme that is when the issue occurs.  The fill color will extend into the other columns.  However, if we choose another them (ie Enlightened) the fill does stop at the edge of the column.  However, all of our FM11 converted databases default to the Classic theme which causes this problem.  We are using FM 13.0v2.  Thanks again for looking into it.

Kendall

• 3. Re: Background color fill issue
              TSGal

Kendall Bloomfield:

Thank you for that information.  I can confirm this issue occurs with the Classic Theme under both Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.9.2 using FileMaker Pro 13.0v2.  I have sent this information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

In the mean time, use any of the other Themes.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Background color fill issue
                philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 5. Re: Background color fill issue
                  jnouwen

I don't believe it's just a background colour issue. In our situation, we're seeing the entire column being drawn additively as you go across the layout. We're also using the Classic theme as our layouts originated in FM11 files. Also, as in Kendall's situation, changing the theme to something else fixes the issue.

• 6. Re: Background color fill issue
                    TSGal

Kepi:

Thank you for your post.

This is definitely a related issue with the Classic Theme and Sub-summaries.  I have also enclosed your screen shot to the original report.  I'll let you know if our Testing department needs more information and/or a copy of your file.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Background color fill issue
                      philmodjunk

Yet I think it's separate (though possibly related) from the background color issue.

Kepi,

I'd like to see a more detailed description of the design of your layout so that I can write it up in as a bug in the Known Bugs List as a different bug.

What I see is the same text repeated twice.

And are all horizontal rows shown sub summary layout parts or is the white section a body layout part?

As a test, I duplicated the List layout of the Known Bugs List database--a file originally created as a .FP7 file and converted to .FMP12. It is still a classic theme layout. I then added a sub summary part, put both layout text and some fields in the sub summary part, then entered browse mode and sorted the records to make the sub summary part appear. I also check preview mode to see if there were any obvious differences. I checked it with and without the "delineate" option selected.

I could not reproduce what you show in your screen shot.

What did I do differently?

• 8. Re: Background color fill issue
                        jnouwen

The data used for that report can make it look like it's just doubling some strings, but if you look closely what you can see is

- Column 1 is Column 1

- Column 2 is Column 2 drawn over top of Column 1

- Column 3 is Column 3 drawn over top of Column 2 drawn over top of Column 1

However, in reproducing this in a brand new basic file, a co-worker realized my error: I had the same fields across all three columns in layout mode (that's how I thought columnar reports worked, specifically that you could arrange the info in each column separately if you desired).

In FileMaker 9, 10, and 11, it just ignored all the extra fields outside the "prototype" column. FileMaker 13, however, uses them for the rendering and stacks everything on top of each other. Though, only the Classic theme exhibits this behaviour. Any other theme with fields in all the columns renders as it did pre-FileMaker 12.

So this one was my bad, but still a strange behaviour in 13!

• 9. Re: Background color fill issue
                          TSGal

Kepi:

Thanks for the additional information.

I've let Testing know that you encountered the same issue with Classic Theme and sub-summaries and to disregard the screen shot.

When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Background color fill issue
                            jnouwen

Here's a quick file I whipped up to demonstrate the "bug" in 13 when using the Classic Theme: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcx4e1ulvn1nt2l/Columns.fmp12.zip

1) Open the file

2) On the initial layout, Columns Classic, notice how the text in the sub-summary parts from earlier columns repeats across subsequent columns. I purposely moved the fields around on columns 2 and 3 to make this clearer. This does not affect the Body part (for reference, my screenshot earlier is all sub-summaries).

4) Switch to Columns Enlightened Layout and notice how it does not exhibit this behaviour (I duplicated Columns Classic, changed the theme, and renamed it, otherwise it's identical).

So, it's a bug, but really it shouldn't affect too many people provided they didn't incorrectly configure their columnar layouts like I did ;)

• 11. Re: Background color fill issue
                              TSGal

Kepi:

The Classic theme has been removed from FileMaker Pro 14.0.1.  At this time, there are no plans to go back and fix the Classic theme in FileMaker Pro 13.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Background color fill issue
                                jnouwen

Sounds good. Thanks for the update, TSGal!