Background color spillover in 2-column outputs

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v4 Advanced

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.8.5

Description of the issue

I'm trying to print a 2-column report that has 2 levels of sub-summaries. I would like the top level sub-summary (sort by animal kind, either Common or Exotic) to have a purple background and the 2nd level of sub-summary (sort by species) to have a peach background. Indeed, they do. But if the sub-summary occurs in the left-hand column, the background color keeps going right across the page into the right-hand column. See screenshot below.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Seems to happen every time.

Expected result

I expect the colored background to step at the right edge of the column, the same way as a background-color FIELD would do. (See aqua background every 5th line in screenshot below; that's a field that spills over into the right side of the layout page, but nothing past the center line shows up in print.)

Actual result

The background color keeps right on going into an area that it doesn't apply to.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None; apparently FMPA thinks this is normal behavior.

Configuration information

nope

Workaround

I could go to a totally inefficient 1-column report, or skip the background colors altogether and just go with horizontal rules to emphasize the sub-summary breaks, but I really like the background colors when they work.

Background_Color_Problem.png