7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2013 2:59 PM by philmodjunk

Backup stop processing - large FM file (178 GB)

tpolland

Summary

Backup stop processing - large FM file (178 GB)

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

12v3

Operating system version

Windows 2008 Standard 64-bit

Description of the issue

The automated back will run and never finish. The file that needs to be backed up is 178 GB in size. I have to restart both the FM Server and FM Server Admin via command line to reset the server. Then it will process the next backup on the next schedule.... then the cycle continues.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1) Have a large FM database file hosted (>150 GB)
      2) Schedule a daily backup (without the file integrity checked - this is to save time)
      3)Set the backup to rotate the backup files by only keeping three

Expected result

Every day there would be a new directory with a copy of the file. Only three directories at a time, each for a day in sync, no gaps.

Actual result

I may get three or four directories. No new directories are created and no additional backups are created.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Workaround

Have created a script that restarts the FM Server and FM Admin Server everyday to reset it.

• 1. Re: Backup stop processing - large FM file (178 GB)
          Fred(CH)

Hi Travis,

I never had to deal with a 150 GB database so i have several questions to ask before investigate this issue :

• Did you previously managed this big database with a previous version of FileMaker Server, the v11 for instance, and if true, without these backup problems ?

• Did you changed the standard folders of FileMaker Server on the Server Database settings > Folders tab ?

• Are FileMaker Server and all the related files and databases stored on the startup disk [C:] ?

• Anyways, how much space is available on your startup disk [C:] at this time ?

• Did you already taked advantage of the new external managed storage provided by FileMaker 12 within your big database ?

Thank you in advance for your answers, and SORRY for my bad english !

Bye, Fred

• 2. Re: Backup stop processing - large FM file (178 GB)
            tpolland

Hi Fred,

Below are the answers to your questions:

• Did you previously managed this big database with a previous version of FileMaker Server, the v11 for instance, and if true, without these backup problems ?

> This never was hosted on a previous version of FileMaker Pro Server. 

• Did you changed the standard folders of FileMaker Server on the Server Database settings > Folders tab ?

> Yes the standard folders were changed for both the hosted files as well as the location of the backup folder. Both are on a dedicated drives. 

• Are FileMaker Server and all the related files and databases stored on the startup disk [C:] ?

> On this server, FM Server is installed on the C drive, however, the hosted files are stored on a dedicated E drive. There is a D drive the OS page file and a F drive for the backup files. In future implementations the FM Server never be installed on the C drive. 

• Anyways, how much space is available on your startup disk [C:] at this time ?

> There is only an additional 25 GB free on he C drive. While the other drive (E&F) are 1TB drives. 

• Did you already taked advantage of the new external managed storage provided by FileMaker 12 within your big database ?

> No. I understand that the external manager storage was for the container field object. There are no documents, images, videos, etc contained in the data. It's raw data... ~140 million rows. 

By the way, your English is perfect. :-)
                 Travis
            • 3. Re: Backup stop processing - large FM file (178 GB)
              Fred(CH)

Thank you for all Travis laugh

I know that it will be hard to hear, but i think that this issue is due to the low free [C:] drive space.

If you can enlarge this disk space (with a minimum of 200 GB free) i am almost shure that you will no longer suffer from this issue.

Bye, Fred

• 4. Re: Backup stop processing - large FM file (178 GB)
                tpolland

Hi Fred,

Is this due to the fact that FM Server is installed on the C drive and all of its cache files are located there? Also, if I were to restart the FM database server and FM admin server the next scheduled backup works perfectly even with the 25 GBs free on the C drive. 

Travis

• 5. Re: Backup stop processing - large FM file (178 GB)
                  Fred(CH)

Dear Travis,

Unfortunately not. I think even you would install FMS on another drive, the startup drive is still determinant and have caches on it.

I had a bad experience with a configuration that seemed equal. I had no database as big as yours, but it was 35 GB.

FMS was installed on [D:] and the big mama was stored on [E:]. There was at least enough space on both drives.

I tried to externalize containers data, but the operation always failed, exactly like your backup operation.

After days, i realize that was because [C:] showed only 2GB free space. Why ? It was a temprary folder that growed during operation.

You could monitoring the  [C:] free space during your backup operation and will see. I am up to 95% sure.

Bye, Fred

• 6. Re: Backup stop processing - large FM file (178 GB)
                    tpolland

Hi,

Interesting. 

I would have to say that if this true then it would be classified as a product bug. Most Enterprises have a fixed C drive size that cannot be changed for any reason as a standard. These files must be application driven files created under the profile or such and should not be not be there for a server based product. In fact, you should allow the user to specify its location through a configuration which guidelines to its growth size and best practices. 

Travis

• 7. Re: Backup stop processing - large FM file (178 GB)
                      philmodjunk

Does the back up schedule's status hang at "running"?

There's an ongoing issue, with that symptom and scheduled backups, but it's much more common in older versions of server such as FMS 10, that has nothing to do with the file size.