Summary

Behavior of PDF files in Container fields between FMGO and FMPro

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

In FM Pro 11, when we embedded PDF files into container fields, we could open the PDF's by double clicking on the container field.  This appears to have gone away in FM Pro 12 unless we link the PDF which we don't want to do because our folders change folders with the PDF's change location at the end of each year.

However, when I tried to open a PDF in FMGO on the iPad, it opens them directly from the container field without having to export them first.  Is there something i am doing wrong on Pro.  I would really like the file embedded and then just doubleclick on the PDF for it to open without having to export the contents of the field.

Steps to reproduce the problem

It has to do with whether the PDF is linked or embedded.  It appears to behave differently between the two applications.

Expected result

I would like to double click and have the PDF to open like it did in FM Pro 11.

Actual result

Embedded PDF's must be exported or linked in order for the doubleclicking to work. Is there a setting that i am missing?

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message

Workaround

Export the file and then launch the PDF.

• 1. Re: Behavior of PDF files in Container fields between FMGO and FMPro
          philmodjunk

In FM Pro 11, when we embedded PDF files into container fields, we could open the PDF's by double clicking on the container field.

This was only the case if you used insert object or did a drag and drop to embed the file as an object--either way, FileMaker 11 in windows used OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) to open the file when it was double clicked.

OLE and Insert Object are not supported in FileMaker 12 so this behavior is not available to you in FileMaker 12.

Double clicking a container field opens the file in the container only if the file was inserted as a reference using Insert File. The other insert methods (except for Insert Object in Filemaker 11/windows) do not produce a result that you can use to open the file by double clicking the container field--neither in FileMaker 11 nor 12.