6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2009 11:02 AM by TSGal

Bento 2 - Stuck on "opening databases"

pkillen

Summary

Bento 2 - Stuck on "opening databases"

Description of the issue

Just bought and installed Bento 2, when I open the software it jsut says "opening database" and thats it....?   And after about 10mins the application stops responding and I just get the beachball. I'm using a Mac Book air (solid state version) running OSX 10.5.6

• 1. Re: Bento 2 - Stuck on "opening databases"
          TSGal

pkillen:

Thank you for your post.

Did you have a previous version of Bento (Bento 1.0)?  Are any other applications running?  How many records do you have in your Address Book Library?  Do you have a lot of events in iCal?  Any additional information you can provide will help me narrow down the possible causes.

You are currently in the FileMaker forum.  I'll stay with you on this problem, but in the future, please post your questions to the Bento Forum at http://forums.filemaker.com.

Thanks. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Bento 2 - Stuck on "opening databases"
            pkillen

Evening,

My apologies for posting in the wrong section and thank you for your help.

I don't have Bento 1, at the time I had Mail and Firefox 3 running, but have tried since with no other applications running and I still get the same thing.

About a month ago I did have the  trial version of 2 installed  while I was looking around at different applications and solutions; this was removed by dragging it to trash and emptying, when I came back to purchase it I downloaded a fresh disk image and installed it using the link in the email.

I have no contacts in my address book (did have over 4k but have been removed from the machine and from my mac address book incase they were synching up) and only had 10 events in iCal which were tied in with iSale, I have since removed the events and disabled MobileMe synch and tried bento once more and still nothing. the last time it crashed I sent a report to Apple; would it help if I copied and pasted the crash report here too? Or is there a way to completely remove all traces of bento and try fresh?

• 3. Re: Bento 2 - Stuck on "opening databases"
              TSGal

pkillen:

Thanks for the additional information.

When Bento launches, it reads the Preferences files and the bento.bentodb database file.  If you are starting fresh again, then remove these files.  The Preferences files are located in the following directory:

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plist

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plugins.plist

The bento.bentodb database file is located in the following directory:

Home -> Library -> Application Support -> Bento -> bento.bentodb

If you installed Bento 2 a month ago, your 30-day time period is nearing its end, so you may not have a lot of time to try it on your current machine.  If your time period has ended, then you the only way to get this running is to set your system clock back a month.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Bento 2 - Stuck on "opening databases"
                pkillen

thank you very much TS, we seem to have resolved it! :smileywink:

take care.

• 5. Re: Bento 2 - Stuck on "opening databases"
                  cprf

And when you're not starting fresh? I have a licensed Bento 2 and an established database. Used to open up fine, I don't know what happened, but now it gets stuck opening the database. I got rid of the plist files, but it didn't help. Can't get rid of my database file, it has data in it. Any ideas?

Thank you. 

• 6. Re: Bento 2 - Stuck on "opening databases"
                    TSGal

cprf:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

First, rename your bento.bentodb file to ORIGINALbento.bentodb.  Launch Bento 2, and see if Bento launches with new Libraries.  If Bento 2 does not start, then I would force quit and recopy Bento 2 to your hard drive.

If Bento 2 does start with the new Libraries, then your original database file is corrupt.  Take one of your recent Bento backups, rename it to bento.bentodb, and place it in the same directory with ORIGINALbento.bentodb.

If you haven't been keeping backups, then you can send in the database file, and hopefully the information can be salvaged.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.