4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2009 9:48 AM by TSGal

BENTO 3 - problem to see relative data in shared database

JJu

Summary

BENTO 3 - problem to see relative data in shared database

Description of the issue

Hello, BIIIIIIG problem for me: I have just downloaded Bento 3 for the possibility to share the database. But with another Apple computer (syst. Leopard for both), when i connect to a shared database (without restrictions on sharing), I do not see the relative data in a library. So they appear empty to me, and if I change them, then theyr are changed in real time in the original database... So, if a library is connected to another one (let's say a library of reports is linked to a library of persons), the relative data are lost in the connected computers, and these ones, not seeing any link on the relative data, can modify and so damage the initial information. I don't know if this is clear, but I really need urgent help on that since I risk to loose a lot of information. Thanks a lot for eventual help... 

• 1. Re: BENTO 3 - problem to see relative data in shared database
          JJu

WOOOOORST than everything... Now, when I can see the data (I had to redo the link, but do you imagine that I am going to do that and redo all links for the 100 000 data entered ???), I enter a new report for example, the central database does not keep ANYTHING in memory when I close it. When I re-open, I have the nice surprise of... not finding anything that is new... The old is ther, the new no...

I consider returning to Bento 2 at this point... At least, it saves the last entries... 

• 2. Re: BENTO 3 - problem to see relative data in shared database
            TSGal

JJu:

Thank you for your posts.

If you are sharing a database and you do not see related data in a Library, make sure that related library is set up to be shared.  Otherwise, you will not see any related data.  To do this, go to the host, pull down the Bento menu and select Preferences.  Click on the Sharing icon, and make sure either "Share entire database" is selected, or if you have "Share selected librares", be sure the related Libraries are checked.

Also in that Preferences dialog box, be sure you select "Allow others to make changes to your data".  Otherwise, you will be unable to make changes. 

In the future, please post this information to the Bento forum at forums.filemaker.com.  You are currently in the FileMaker Pro forum.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: BENTO 3 - problem to see relative data in shared database
              JJu

Thanks for your answer TSGal.

I had actually already shared the database. The Bento forum says to come here now (when you click on the discuss link, it arrives here, but maybe ther is a section somewhere - sorry I did not see it)

The Bento Forum has moved English

On September 15, 2009 the Bento Forum joined the FileMaker Forum. Use your Bento Forum log-in information to access the FileMaker Forum.

Discuss Bento 

Regarding my problem on Bento, it seems that every NEW data or modification of the database is lost when the program is shut down. When I reopen it, I have lost last entries. I need to erase and redo all connections between the databases. It gets really painful for a database with 100 000 connections that I have...

Would you have any other advise eventually (on this, or where to find the Bento Forum, because this is rather confusing)...

Thanks again 

• 4. Re: BENTO 3 - problem to see relative data in shared database
                TSGal

JJu:

From within Bento, when I pull down the Help menu and select "Bento Forum", I am taken directly to forums.filemaker.com.  I do not see the message you are receiving.

I am able to change any information as a shared user, and it is reflected in the main database file.  I quit and relaunch, and my changes are still there.  If you want to send in your database file, I would be happy to look at it.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.