1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2014 8:48 AM by JohnBramlett

bento migration tool crashes on 10.10

konnektor

Summary

bento migration tool crashes on 10.10

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

migration tool crashes when trying to open database

Steps to reproduce the problem

launch migration tool

Expected result

bento database migrated > FM Pro compatible data file

Actual result

crash almost immediately after launch. i sometimes see the "opening database" in the app's main window, but only for a second before it crashes

Configuration information

bento 4.1.2

Workaround

none

• 1. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
          TSGal

konnektor:

Thank you for your post.

I can confirm that the Bento 4 to FileMaker Pro Migration Tool does not work under Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).  I can confirm that Bento 4.1.2 launches under Yosemite.

Since Development for Bento no longer exists, this will not be updated.  You can only use the Migration Tool under Mac OS X 10.9 and earlier.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
            TSGal

konnector:

I have discovered that the Bento 4 to FileMaker Pro Migration Tool will work under Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) if Address Book integration is turned off.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
              konnektor

thanks for investigating further. i'm stuck in the situation where i can't launch bento to turn the address book integration off. i only have 4.1.2 installed, and it won't open in yosemite at all (see screen shot).

• 4. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
                TSGal

konnektor:

Did you install Bento from a non-Admin account?

What occurs when you enter the password?  Does Bento then launch?

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
                  konnektor

almost certainly not.

password entry makes dialog box disappear, with bento stuck on "opening database".

your persistence is appreciated thank you!

• 6. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
                    TSGal

konnektor:

Assuming the database opened in a previous operating system, send in your file so I can determine why the file won't open under Mac OS X 10.10.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
                      JohnBramlett

I'd be enormously interested in knowing if this was resolved.  I also just moved to 10.10 with the understanding that Bento worked.  I'm in the process of moving from Bento, but I'm not finished yet.  I still need access and am having the same results.  I can't get past the screen that says it's opening the database.  I've turned off all sharing in the Preferences thinking that might do the trick, but with no luck.

Thanks!

-John

• 8. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
                        TSGal

John Bramlett:

The issue with "konnector" was due to an older database file that had not yet upgraded to Bento 4.1.2.  Once the file was opened in Bento 4.1.2, the Migration Tool then worked.

If you have turned off Address Book integration and still unable to open the database file, send in your database file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
                          JohnBramlett

I have sent the email as instructed.  Thank you!

• 10. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
                            TSGal

John Bramlett:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I have opened the file with Bento 4.1.2 under Mac OS X 10.10.  All Libraries display and I have access to everything.  If you are unable to access the Address Book and iCal Setup, go into System Preferences, click on Security & Privacy, click the Privacy tab and make sure Contacts and Calendar are set to be accessed by Bento (4.1.2).

Regardless of the security settings, you do NOT have Address Book nor iCal integration turned on.  What other issue are you getting when you try to access a Library?  Or, is it a specific Library.

After quitting Bento, I launched the Bento 4 to FileMaker Pro Migration Tool, and the Libraries appear.  If they are not appearing for you, there is a sporadic list issue with Yosemite, so try switching to another application that covers the Migration Tool window, and then switch back to the Migration Tool application.  Do the Libraries then display?

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
                              JohnBramlett

Oh, boy.  I just looked and see that Bento is at 4.1.1.  I'm updating to see if that's my problem...

• 12. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
                                JohnBramlett

Well, 4.1.2 didn't fix my problem.  Contacts and Calendars are set properly in Sys Prefs.  The only issue I'm having (I had no issues on 10.9 other than Bento [4.1.1 though] shutting down randomly after running for a while or unplugging an external display) is the screen shown in this attachment and I can't see any of my data.

I wonder what's happening?  I'm encouraged to know you can open it.  I've tested opening this file on another Mac in my home running 10.9, but that isn't a workaround since I need this information with me at my office.

I hope you're not out of options yet!  :)

• 13. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
                                  TSGal

John Bramlett:

Thank you for the additional information.

In case other applications are affecting Bento, try rebooting your machine.  After the system starts up, launch Bento 4.1.2.  If this works, then there is an issue with another application running in conjunction with Bento.  If this fails, then we know it is system related.

Assuming this still fails, remove your Bento preferences file.  You will find this in the following folder:

[user account] -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bentoosx.plist

Launch Bento, and a new preferences file will be created.

If this still fails to open the database file, then rename the bento.bentodb file to original.bentodb, and then expand the bento.bentodb.zip file that you sent me, and put the resulting bento.bentodb file in the same folder with original.bentodb.  Launch Bento 4.1.2.  This will put you on the same Bento setup as myself.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: bento migration tool crashes on 10.10
                                    JohnBramlett

I'll try this and report back...

1 2 Previous Next