Summary

BEX Error (Windows 7) in Value Lists Causes Crash

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

We are getting reports of FileMaker crashing, sometimes with a BEX error, when users enter a field containing a drop-down list. It is happening in two completely different databases, with different user bases.

So far, all users who report this issue are using Windows 7. I was able to replicate the problem once in the first database where it occurred, and got a BEX error, as shown below. I cannot verify that this is the same "fault module" as the others, as I was not able to gather that information from the users.

My version of the FMP software at the time I replicated the error was 12.0.3.328, but others who reported the error had the most recent version FMP 12.

We have recovered both databases in question, with no change in the crash incidence.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Enter layout with value list
      Put cursor into value list field
      Watch database crash
      In some cases, there is a BEX error message, in others the database just quits.

Expected result

Value list appears, and a selection may be made

Actual result

Crash

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

There are two different messages that may appear.

The first is a BEX error (please note, this is just one that happened; I cannot verify that all the BEX instances have the same fault modulename, etc. - it has also occurred with 12.0.4 versions of FMP, so an update will not help) . I have included the text of one of those below.

The second is just a notification from Windows that the application has crashed. There is no message from FMP.

==================
      Problem signature:
        Problem Event Name:    BEX
        Application Name:    FileMaker Pro.exe
        Application Version:    12.0.3.328
        Application Timestamp:    507477a9
        Fault Module Name:    COMCTL32.dll
        Fault Module Version:    6.10.7601.17514
        Fault Module Timestamp:    4ce7b71c
        Exception Offset:    0002321d
        Exception Code:    c0000409
        Exception Data:    00000000
        OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
        Locale ID:    1033
        Additional Information 1:    959a
        Additional Information 2:    959a95f9d66970b48d7acf71a8c266c9
        Additional Information 3:    6f41
        Additional Information 4:    6f41b49c674a7e4f36abdfdaa18e0e1c

Configuration information

All users who have had this issue appear to be using Windows 7. We don't have easy access to their computers and cannot determine what else they may have in common. Not all Windows 7 users have this issue.

Workaround

None so far

• 1. Re: BEX Error (Windows 7) in Value Lists Causes Crash
          TSGal

Alanna Clare:

Thank you for your post.

BEX refers to Buffer Overflow Exception.  The COMCTL32.dll is the common control library keeps the application's user interface consistent with other applications.

Since this is occurring while accessing a field formatted with a Value List (Radio Buttons, drop down, pop-up menu, etc.), first try creating a new instance of that field on the layout and leave it formatted as an Edit box.  Access the field in Browse.  If this fails, then it may be the content of the field or the field itself.  If this works, then create a new value list that contains the old values, and change the formatting of the field to a drop-down list and apply the new value list to the new instance of the field.  If this works, then try applying the original value list to the new instance of the field.

These steps will help narrow down the possible causes.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: BEX Error (Windows 7) in Value Lists Causes Crash
            AlannaClare

TSGal, I will give those suggestions a shot (as soon as I can set up a remote session on a computer where it is occurring), but it is only certain users - a small subset of Windows 7 users - who are having the problem. If a field or field contents are corrupt, wouldn't that affect all users?

I was able to replicate once using my Win7, but can no longer do so.

• 3. Re: BEX Error (Windows 7) in Value Lists Causes Crash
              TSGal

Alanna Clare:

From your original post, I am unable to determine if this issue is occurring with a single record or all records, or a single layout or all layouts.  Since the issue  is occurring with a specific field with a value list, my focus is to create a new instance of the field and leave it formatted as an Edit box.  If this works, then add the value list to the field and try again.  If this fails, it could be the content of the field, or it could be something else on the layout.  However, for right now, I want to focus on a new instance of the field.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.