1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 1:34 PM by philmodjunk

Blank error message when trying to add a new record.

ThomasKrumm

Summary

Blank error message when trying to add a new record.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

When I try to add a new record to my database, fill in the fields in the layout and then try to go to another record or another layout I get a black error message with only the OK botton on the message. I click ok and then get a message asking if I want to revert back to the point I was before I created the new record. My only choice is to stay in the new record or revert back to the point before I tried to create the record.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create New record.
      Fill in fields
      Select next or previous record

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Error message is empty.

Workaround

None can not create a new record.

• 1. Re: Blank error message when trying to add a new record.
          philmodjunk

Hmm, are you seeing any other odd behavior when you use filemaker? Any other trouble with windows, drop downs or dialogs? (I'm still trying to document an issue with FileMaker 10 on Windows where windows and dialog start screwing up and you may have a case for this issue.)

Any script triggers involved?

That said, it sounds like you have a validation rule that's throwing an error when you commit the record (Commit happens when you change to next record.) The empty dialog appears to be FileMaker trying to display the error message for that validation rule. If you specify a custom validation message, but don't enter any text, you might get such a blank dialog, so I'd check over the fields of your table for any validation rules and their validation error messages to see if one of them is the culprit.