Blank Space Between Header and Body Part

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Filemaker 13 v5

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.10.2

Description of the issue

I have a layout with a header, body, and footer.  I am getting unwanted white space between the header and body.

The header has two fields that are set for sliding up, and the enclosing part (header) is set to resize.  The fields are sliding up, but there is white space between the header and the body.

I have added a dashed red line at the base of the header and a green line at the top of the body part.

Attached is a screen shot of the layout in layout mode reflecting that the field in the header and the red line are set to slide up and the enclosed part is set to resize.

Attached is a screen shot of the layout in browse mode.  As you would expect, neither the field in the header for the red line have been adjusted.

Attached is a screen shot of the layout in preview mode.  Here, the field and red line in the header have slid upward.  Instead of the red line at the base of the header and the green line at the top of the body being adjacent to each other, they are separated by white space.  It appears as if the field and the red line did slide upward, but the enclosing part (the header) was not resized.

There are no other objects in the header that would prevent the enclosing part from resizing.

What did I do wrong?

Steps to reproduce the problem

I opened the same file on MacOS 10.8 machine running Filemaker 12 v5 and had the same issue.

Expected result

If the both the field and line slid up and the enclosing part was resized, I would have expected that the red line at the base of the header would have lined up with the green line at the top of the body.

Actual result

The red line at the base of the header slid up, but the enclosing part did not resize.

BrowsePreviewLayout.png

• 1. Re: Blank Space Between Header and Body Part
          philmodjunk

Sliding fields do not slide when located in the header. It might be possible to put them in a leading grand summary part, but then they will only appear on the first page of a multi-page report so this may not work for you.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
          • 2. Re: Blank Space Between Header and Body Part
            john@bransfield.net

PhilModJunk,

Thank you very much for your insight.  I will give the leading grand summary part a try, and keep the key facts about sliding layout objects in mind.